BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Object linking to Dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I worked with a program called Chief Architect several years ago. They had a very helpfull feature that would speed things up in archicad ...... If you select any Item that has a dimension associated with it, a wall for example, select it then select the dimension and a type box comes up to allow you to change the dimension and the location of the wall would change accordingly.

I also really think the dimension tool should "Know" the direction of the string. I miss that tool so many times and have to re-select all my points
21 REPLIES 21
Aussie John
Newcomer
Kim - you must be up early!!!!
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am sorry folks, I was not reffering to the overall length of walls but rather the distance between walls and or objects that have an associated dimension.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
Kim - you must be up early!!!!
No - actually I hadn't gone to sleep yet. I'm only up now. Still adjusting to the time zone, having just returned from vacation in LA (12 hour time difference)

Kim
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ken wrote:
I worked with a program called Chief Architect several years ago. They had a very helpfull feature that would speed things up in archicad ...... If you select any Item that has a dimension associated with it, a wall for example, select it then select the dimension and a type box comes up to allow you to change the dimension and the location of the wall would change accordingly.

I also really think the dimension tool should "Know" the direction of the string. I miss that tool so many times and have to re-select all my points
I have never been terrible bothered by the lack of the feature you are referring to, but who knows, I might find it really useful if I actually tried it. However, I am wondering. . .
With this other program, how do you know (control) which end of the wall gets extended when you just change the dimension string? And how about the situation where this wall is in the middle of a whole series of other dimensions?
Anonymous
Not applicable
msloot,

In my experience with the feature it was great and a valid time saver. When you select an item, this is what moves when you type in a new value with the associated dimension. If there is another dimension on the same string it automaticaly changes as the object moves, to reflect the new values.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ken wrote:
In my experience with the feature it was great and a valid time saver.
I've seen it implemented in Revit, and it looked extra-ordinary : this involved a lot less steps to achieve what you want : Why do we have to strech 2 walls and move another one (I know it can be done in 1 step), if we just want to get that room 6 m wide ?
LiHigh
Newcomer
ya,Ken, why do u need to do that? do u need to do that frequently?

Geoffroy Magnan, are u refering to marque tool?
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT
Anonymous
Not applicable
LiHigh wrote:
Geoffroy Magnan, are u refering to marque tool?
Yep ! This is the way to go to stretch entire parts of a project...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another way to get quick dimension references is using the X,Y in relative settings and using a "Alt/Shift" to reset user origins. This lets you position items from any set reference point. This may not work on wall lengths, but is great for positioning objects and other items.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Correct that set-up in my last post, the user origins need to be set to absolute not relative.
Learn and get certified!