BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Object name suffix

fuzzytnth3
Booster
I think I'm right in saying that ArchiCAD 6.5 and 7.0 library objects have the suffix of 65 and 70 respectively tagged onto the objects name.

I have had a shot of 8.0 and noticed that the suffix convention of using the ArchiCAD version number has been dropped. Will version 9.0 objects also be without a suffix?

I have a collection of objects that I have collected over the years and some of these date back to version 4.5 and 5.0 of ArchiCAD when I tried to use this library collection and the AC 8.0 library together I discovered that some of the old objects clash with the AC 8.0 versions.

I think there is a lot of merit to using the suffix as it prevents you editing an object meant for an earlier version of ArchiCAD thereby rendering it unusable to the earlier version.
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
In my work I often use old library parts since v.4.5 and mix them with new libraries, which results with messages for library parts with duplicate names. I also got used to distinguish AC built-in library parts (which have suffix) from those created by me (which do not have suffix).
Aussie John
Newcomer
What i would find more useful would be if Archicad recognised object.gsm, object.jpg as two different files
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Vitruvius
Contributor
As a discipline, I tag all objects I create with the suffix _80 for V8, _70 for V7, _71 for V7.1, etc.

If you do that, you can upgrade and tweak the object in a later version and it won't mess up drawings created in earlier versions.

For example, you could have your custom programmed Window_80, which you subsequently modify as Window_90, and your earlier projects won't get upset because they'll still load Window_80.

To be systematic:

1. When (if) you upgrade to V9, copy all your custom objects to a new folder and change the suffix to _90. Use these for new projects.

2. Archive all of your older projects and save the loaded library objects with them.

3. Tweak and change GDL objects to your hearts content!!

Cheers, Cameron
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
fuzzytnth3
Booster
Having had a wee rummage in ArchiGuide I came across this...

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/WorkingwitholderLibraries.html

Should help with sorting out your old libraries and I suppose I can use Applescript Finder editing script so I can automate adding a suffix to my objects. Only problem will be macros which you can't rename as they are called from within the object scripts.
AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Learn and get certified!