BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Only One Wish: Stability

Anonymous
Not applicable
I only have one wish: Make ArchiCAD More Stable

This might sound a lot like a rant...

I now have about 25 users on AC10 and 25 that are still working on old projects in AC9. Two out of three weeks I will get a desperate call from a user saying that his project is hosed and he can't figure out how to fix it. And these are serious errors like, changes from two saves ago are missing, or the file will no longer save, or the file cannot be opened without a bug-reporter inducing crash.

Some of these crashes only happen on one computer, some happen on all computers, and -- most irritating of all -- some happen only on a few computers.

If you have seen my "11 R's of ArchiCAD Problem Solving" you know the tricks I'm using to get projects back on track. We own over 50 copies of ArchiCAD, and I have loaded ArchiCAD about 90-100 times, because sometimes that's the only thing that works to get rid of a problem. I've had our IT guy rebuild 5 computers from scratch because we had tried everything else that we could think of -- it worked 4 out of the 5 times.

Some crashes happen after the user attempts something as harmless as opening the 3D window. Some happen in the middle of a Save. Some of them are really strange, like the one where you could go from the floor plan to the 3D window, then back to the floor plan and it crashed every time.

This has been going on for a couple years. Every day I feel less like a CAD Manager and more like I'm trying to put out a forest fire while the campers are still putting up their tents, and all I have is a squirt gun.

I'm tired of deleting temporary files, and I'm tired of unloading and reloading ArchiCAD, and I'm tired of telling people that I'll have to comb the internet to see if I can find an answer.

Stability -- that's all I want.
3 REPLIES 3
Stuart Atkinson
Participant
Couldn't agree more. Not running 50 licenses, only three, but the going to 3D window crash, going from 3D window back to floor plan crash, the "i am just starting ArchiCAD" crash, the "i am trying to do a simple copy but now ArchiCAD has frozen and i have go to another application then back to ArchiCAD to kick it back into gear" etc...........
Reloaded ArchiCAD on all machines several times.
Totally frustrating for the dollars spent.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stuart wrote:
... the "i am trying to do a simple copy but now ArchiCAD has frozen and i have go to another application then back to ArchiCAD to kick it back into gear" etc...........
I think this one is a Windows problem, not Archicad itself. You might have seen THIS THREAD.

Our office is having very few real crashes (four x AC10 seats). Maybe one a month, if that.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
Our office is having very few real crashes (four x AC10 seats). Maybe one a month, if that.
That would be a dream come true!
Learn and get certified!