Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Opening Tool as Standard Wall Penetration Tool

Lingwisyer
Guru
Hi all,

Wouldn't it be nice if doors, windows and curtain walls all lived within the Opening Tool?

If you want to use the Curtain Wall Tool to create a custom window, it will automatically cut the bounding wall by the defined boundary.

If you want to demolish a window while retaining the penetration, the opening would be retained as existing.

If you want to change your floor to ceiling window into a sliding door, there's no need to delete and change tool.

If you want to put a window at your stair landing between stories cutting multiple walls, there is no need for additional faux openings.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
15 REPLIES 15
runxel
Legend
Thanks for making a wish out of my post , Ling!
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
DGSketcher
Legend
I have always thought that the structural opening should just that and the contents of the opening should be something that can be freely changed. As with real life you could then build up the opening with a wall or as suggested swap doors & windows or even remove the contents and just add a decorative lining for a change to open plan.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Lingwisyer
Guru
Was reminded of it when Lazlo mentioned having to manually make a wall opening for a curtain wall.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a very important wish. I voted useful.
And while we are here: What about Reveal options be part of Openings, and only Trims remain within Windows?
DGSketcher
Legend
Braza wrote:
This is a very important wish. I voted useful.
And while we are here: What about Reveal options be part of Openings, and only Trims remain within Windows?
Personally I think adding anything to an opening should be non-structural and treated as an associated but separate element. I don't have a problem with hiding the exposed ends of composite skins as a quick drawing clean up, but adding a lining thickness is just a lazy solution for something that probably needs independently scheduled in the project. The more difficult area is adding heads e.g. lintels and sills which can be frequently separate from a window but still associated with an opening, is that what you meant by Reveal Options?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
DGSketcher wrote:
... is that what you meant by Reveal Options?
Exactly. Leave the masonry as part of an opening and the joinery/carpentry on the window/door part.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Or perhaps, (as Ling proposal to Window/Door) add the ability to "Attach" beams and columns to opening edges (with CP's that model sills, lintels, etc), .
This way we could schedule/quantify every piece of BM on an opening.
Lingwisyer
Guru
See this wish in regards to CP sills and jambs.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Ling.
Yes. Red's proposal/wish is a good start.
Openings could be the core where a Window/Door and individual CP's (That could be Sills, Jambs, Headers) for each opening edge. And all could be scheduled.
Anyway... It would be nice to have Kristian's opinion on this, as he is doing a remarkable job with Infinite Openings.
He also recently mentioned that he is working on making Infinite Openings Free.