BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Openings in walls: controlling dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been trying to produce a definitive "favorite" window, with correct rebates, tolerances, cavity closers, turning plaster, etc.

Whilst all of these factors can be amplified in a detailed drawing, it would be so useful to be able to specify, say, a 910mm wide x 1360mm high brick opening, and to have the correct size window unit fall into place, and then be able to dimension the drawing confidently.

Currently this seems to be impossible for the following reasons.

In plan, the "wallhole" size is neither the brick daylight opening size nor the structural opening size. I have oversized the opening by 5mm at each size as a structural tolerance, and have a 15mm reveal at each jamb. The result is that for a unit size of 1840, I have a "wallhole" size of 1840, which is 30mm greater than the BDO, and a "reveal" size of 1800, i.e. 10mm less than the BDO. My best bet seems to be to remember to set the reveal size = the brick coordinating size.

In section, the same is true, but worse! I have a 5mm reveal at the head, and no reveal at the sill - though it would be useful if I were allowed to set a negative reveal as a means of showing the sill tolerance, which appears to be impossible by any other means. To get over this I've made the sill higher than reality. For a unit size 1340mm high, the "wallhole" is showing at 1340mm which is 20mm less than the BDO, and 10mm less than the structural opening.

Once I've given up trying to get the dimensions to work, I have a number of residual niggles - which perhaps belong to a separate "wish", viz:

a) Although the plaster returns nicely in the plan, I can't get it to do so at the window head in the section.
b) The 2D pen assignments work in plan, but not in section
c) The window section fills obscure the detail of the frame/sash junction
d) Cavity closers: can't get them to go in the cavity!
e) The board nosing needs a height. Otherwise it's no different from an oversized board which overhangs the inner surface.
f) The stone cill seems to have a fixed dimension for the depth of its upper surface. Commercially, these are around 75mm: mine is a ridiculous 10mm, irrespective of the other parameters.
2 REPLIES 2
Erika Epstein
Booster
Keith, you forgot to vote in your poll
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous