BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Option to snap to finishes/core only

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just thinking that it would be great to be able to toggle to where ArchiCAD snaps.

This thread alludes to it, but it doesn't quite get there:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=236096&highlight=snap+finish#236096

I find it quite difficult to work fast in models with composite walls as the cursor invariably snaps to an inner finish/core line rather than the outside of the wall (for example when creating ceiling slabs etc) (and yep, I know about magic wand, but sometimes this doesn't work / apply and you need to draw it manually.)

So, yeah, if one could set Snap to outer points of wall only, or similar, that would be good.

I've also checked the partial structure display as a way of doing this - it might do it if you had the option to display Finishes only, but it doesn't exist.

Obviously you can zoom in and make sure the snap point is correctly placed, but this slows things down. hope that all makes sense...
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
If you can't use the magic wand because it doesn't give the results you need and you then have to manually place the nodes then don't forget the 'Offset' tool.
If it is easier to select the inner or outer corners rather than zoom in and get the node you want then select all of the outer nodes and at some point before your final click activate the offset tool.
Place the last node and then determine the offset of the slab/fill.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
One trick you can use is to go to the Model View Options Dialog, and check the Override Cut Fills checkbox, plus uncheck the Show Skin Separator Lines checkbox.
This way the Show Skin Separator Lines will not be shown and you will not be able to snap to them, only to the outlines of elements.
Then, when you are finished, you can turn them back on.

But of course it would be easier to just be able to determine what kind of points we want to snap to so the wish still stands.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
ah. Yes. I should've thought of that! thanks Laszlo
Learn and get certified!