BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Overhead Doors

DaveOlufs
Participant
Why does ArchiCAD treat overhead/garage doors like swing doors? OH doors do NOT sit inside the opening but are outside the opening, either inside or out. I spend too much time doctoring/tweaking the OH door settings to make it resemble a real world door/frame. And then I'm still not very close.

Also, how can I get an OH door with windows in more than one section of the door? Most every OH door that I need requires windows in more than one section. There is no option for this and if there is, it does NOT work. Again, I have to put in a curtain wall to FAKE a section OH door with windows OR draw over the default/doctored/tweaked OH door in elevation view to get the look I need.

This are my wishes. I've had this problem since v12 and now I'm on v14 with no change. It was suggested that I create a GDL object but I'd rather Graphisoft incorporate more options...
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
Bummer to hear that this is still not fixed, Dave. It has been reported numerous times over the years and I thought was supposed to be fixed in 13. Plan and section details were sent to Graphisoft quite some time ago for this one, I know.

Essential.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
DaveOlufs
Participant
Karl,

Thanks for the unhappy response. Others must have experienced this problem and if so what do they do for a work-around?
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
Karl Ottenstein
Just tried the D1 Garage 1 14 and I don't see a workaround. There is no offset option for studwalls; you can tell it that it is in a solid wall, and then offset the door panel, but then the casing and frame are messed up. Maybe someone else knows a way.

(The quality of the library continues to be right up there as one of the top issues that Graphisoft needs to address IMHO. What should create productivity, instead wastes gobs of time and creates great irritation.)
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
CadImage D&W Builder will create a garage door properly which is what I use but of course that is no excuse for AC not doing it correctly.
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
DaveOlufs
Participant
So I have AC15 loaded and to my surprise... Overhead doors are still treated the same way as previous versions at least for me AC12 thru 14.

In 15 the OH doors fill the opening or sit inside the opening but don't cover the opening. That would be the same for roll-up doors. Why is this? Am I missing something? Do most people not put overhead or roll-up doors in their projects and thus Graphisoft won't create an accurate or realistic door?

I'm perplexed...
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

Jere
Expert
AC16 and still no overhead door. Maybe we need to put it in the BIM components custom object wish thread?
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Learn and get certified!