Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

PARAM-O specific Wish Section.

Anonymous
Not applicable
PARAM-O is one of the most promising developments ARCHICAD had in the last 30+ years and has potential to increase ARCHICAD market penetration dramatically... and yet there is no specific section of wishes dedicated to PARAM-O features.

Please make one... we need more exposure to PARAM-O, and GS can use the help on-line community may provide in shaping this application.
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
What is wrong with the wish section you are in now? - Open Archicad Wishes.

It is for ... GDL language and objects, API, Add-ons, Script…

Param-o wasn't around when the forum was created, so it is not listed separately in the description.
But it is just automatic GDL coding.

Maybe the word "Param-o" can be added to the description, as it has in the 'GDL Scripting/Library Part Development' section?
We will have to ask Laszlo.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Param-o wasn't around when the forum was created, so it is not listed separately in the description.
By this logic, GS may wish to simplify this forum by cutting it down to two essential threads — "General Discussion" and "Radar CH".

ARCHICAD evolves, and this forum will change over time. I am simply requesting (wishing for) such a change, as per forum rules and structure.

Barry wrote:
But it is just automatic GDL coding.
This is why we need more exposure/promotion to PARAM-O in general.

Within the next 5 years, majority of all computer-related development will happen outside professional programming environments in Low-Code and No-Code applications.

As a vested professional, I don't want ARCHICAD to fall behind. As it happens, PARAM-O is the only such a Low/No-Code application within ARCHICAD production environment, and the team behind it needs a boost in consumer/user confidence to really push it forward. As such, a highly-visible, top-level portion of the wishes forum with an enticing sub-heading like "PARAM-O — help shape the future of ARCHICAD" may be a good start. GS has already put people on developing PARAM-O, and both GS and the team behind PARAM-O need to see how important this is for us... Even if not everybody understands this yet. A well-promoted forum thread with PARAM-O specific wishes will help move ARCHICAD/PARAM-O forward big time.

Again, I don't think there is a more important development direction for ARCHICAD, at the moment, than PARAM-O. If we think about it, the entire ARCHICAD ideology is based upon parametric objects, and yet, it is 2021 and we are still using the same basic object library we had 25 years ago... The reason being, is that there were no tools for majority of ARCHICAD users to create those intelligent, parametric objects before PARAM-O came about.

This is why I wish for a dedicated wish section for PARAM-O.

Barry wrote:
We will have to ask Laszlo.
This is why this wish is here.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I do not think there needs to be a Param-O-specific wish section.
By this logic, we could have dedicated Wish sections for Python, the Archicad-Grasshopper Connection, BIMcloud, Open BIM, whichever field users feel very strongly about.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Anton,

I agree with the others that we cannot subdivide the forum to such a fine granularity. But, I've been encouraging everyone for years (without any luck I might add!) to make their Subject lines for new threads be as meaningful as possible to help guide people to that topic.

In this case, please post your wishes (one wish per thread as always please) with a subject line that begins with "PARAM-O Wish: <the actual wish>". This will make it easy for people specifically interested in PARAM-O to find these wishes.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
LaszloNagy wrote:
By this logic, we could have dedicated Wish sections for Python, the Archicad-Grasshopper Connection, BIMcloud, Open BIM, whichever field users feel very strongly about.
If you think about this, Laszlo, this is actually a really good idea.
This approach is called "data normalization" and is used to organize data into logical partitions and prevent disordered forum tread placement and data duplication without offloading organizational tasks onto forum users' shoulders, like Karl had suggested.

Karl wrote:
I've been encouraging everyone for years (without any luck I might add!) to make their Subject lines for new threads be as meaningful as possible to help guide people to that topic.

In this case, please post your wishes (one wish per thread as always please) with a subject line that begins with "PARAM-O Wish: <the actual wish>". This will make it easy for people specifically interested in PARAM-O to find these wishes.
Karl, encouraging/informing actual forum users to comply with some obscure title construct structure is not going to work for many reasons.

However, expanding the forum with additional top-level topics (as per Laszlo's suggestion) for all new developments within ARCHICAD, may possibly become educational for someone visiting this forum infrequently...

It is all about user experience...

P.S. -----------------------------------------------------------

And that brings me to the whole "user experience" thing here...

I did not start this wish with a poll, as I did not want this wish to be "rated"...

Creating a poll (on my behalf) and then mob-voting my wish down using forum admins's votes is strange.

The whole idea of this forum is to encourage people to voice their opinions, but putting together a poll (on user's behalf) and then instantly voting it down with the heft of the most populous/organized group of users (forum admins) does not help this forum out in any way.

This wish was for your consideration, not bashing it down collectively. 😉

You run this forum and you make all the final decisions here, but if I were involved with a forum like this, I would specifically preclude any forum admin from voting on any polls. Not because we don't value your participation, but because this organized admin-voting has a potential of swaying regular user's opinions, as it is all to easy to create a situation (like the one above) where a wish was requested, and, instead of letting the other forum users build up their opinions over time, you have created and unfavourable starting environment for regular forum users to voice their opinions and created a skewed representation of that question's acceptance.
Barry Kelly
Anton wrote:
You run this forum and you make all the final decisions here, but if I were involved with a forum like this, I would specifically preclude any forum admin from voting on any polls. Not because we don't value your participation, but because this organized admin-voting has a potential of swaying regular user's opinions, as it is all to easy to create a situation (like the one above) where a wish was requested, and, instead of letting the other forum users build up their opinions over time, you have created and unfavourable starting environment for regular forum users to voice their opinions and created a skewed representation of that question's acceptance.

You will be glad to know I didn't vote, so not all of the negative votes are from forum admin.
Having said that, we are users just like you, so we have just as much right to vote as anyone.
We all only get to cast one vote each (if the poll is set up that way), so the numbers should speak for themselves.
We can't stack the votes.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
I would like to get an "if - then - else" node.
Also a "for-next" node would be great. (dont tell me about grids - i know so far)

I would like to declair groups (what can be done now anyway) as a whole new node with input and output of the whole group.

But i am at the startpoint and dont know everything .... so be patient with me..
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia