Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Place Door by inside edge of frame.

It would be great if it were possible to be able to place a door by the inside of the frame when converting survey data. Most surveyors still only provide 2D which we trace off and they measure the openings from inside face of frame to inside face of frame so we have to place the doors and stretch them to match. If we could place the door by the inside face of the frame it would really speed up the process.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
6 REPLIES 6
Ransom Ratcliff
Enthusiast

So true, for so long.

Especially when the Archicad door is using "Leaf Size" for its nominal size, rather than Unit or Rough Opening, etc.

Ransom Ratcliff
RATCLIFF CONSULTING LLC
Charrette Venture Group
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 26
Autodesk Certified Professional in Revit
macOS + Windows

You can insert two or four hot spots on the door frame where you want and save the door again with another name, try it.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
Ransom Ratcliff
Enthusiast

Sorry, I am a little confused.

Do you mean to edit the 2D script to add Hotspots for insertion? Unlike Objects, which allow you to pick a hotspot to use before insertion, Doors and Windows are inserted by their Anchor Point, which is a Geometry Method that you select from the Info Box before, or during placement.  After the door is placed, you see that the frames already have plenty of hotspots when displayed with full Detail. I think there is more to the GDL solution than a couple HOTSPOT2 statements added to the existing script.

Even worse would be adding hotspots to a door in plan and saving the door and hotspots from the floor plan as a new door.

So, I think this is a genuine wish-list suggestion for Graphisoft to standardize the insertion anchor point so it is determined by the nominal size setting used for the particular door. This would have the added benefit of making the distance between the two corner anchor points equal to the nominal width of the door. I.e. a typical American commercial 3068 door would have corner anchor points 3' apart, one of which would match the hinge location, which is more important in design than rough opening, which is where they appear now.

And for the center anchor, it should be the center of the nominal size, so that when we place a door with sidelight, our center can be the center of the door leaf, not necessarily the center of the whole door and sidelight assembly.

Door Anchor Point.png
Ransom Ratcliff
RATCLIFF CONSULTING LLC
Charrette Venture Group
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 26
Autodesk Certified Professional in Revit
macOS + Windows

I got your idea I’m sorry, so Doors & Windows have a long wish list, I think their enhancements will be the main feature of a new Archicad version soon, some features could be vital for some while are not most requested by others but Doors & Windows enhancements are a universal demand.

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear All,

Thank you for sharing your ideas and opinions regarding this request!

I'm glad to say that this is an existing wish in our Wish list database.
(For future reference, you can refer to it as IDEA-4698)

I hope we see this get implemented in the future.

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Thank you @Minh Nguyenfor your response & thx to all Graphisoft people.