Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Plan Cut Tool (stories override)

Anonymous
Not applicable
We find the stories tool to be an occasional hinderance to our ability to draw clear and concise plans. We wish there was a tool to create a plan cut similar to the section cut tool that would allow us to cut as many plans as we wished at specified heights above the floor. The stories tool is fine for most building types, but when we have multi-level spaces or a clerestory wall above, we have difficulty making the plan read correctly, much less graphically pleasing. I know there are workarounds for these problems, we've used them all, but we spend too much time on workarounds. We've also had circumstances where we wished to be able to mulitiple plans to describe complex shapes - a plan cut every 6" would be helpful somtimes to a woodworker trying to understand a complex desk, for instance - but cannot do that easily with the stories tool. There are many other situations where a plan cut tool would be a great addition to the stories tool.
2 REPLIES 2
__archiben
Booster
kevin

what you're wishing for is a part of a larger issue described (and wished for) here. . .

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4342

. . . by matthew lohden.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
The planning at GS might be way ahead of me on this but.... In Revit all views are openGL and so everything happens fast and calculation of vector data is processed at time of output. I set up a test building in ArchiCad using all openGL 3d views. Plans were generated by setting up the cutting planes for each floor (archicad memorizes the cutting planes for each view, great!) Walls had no breaks and stretched multistory. Each elevation section etc. were done this way. The by-product of this is almost instantaneous changes! If you created the ability for hidden line openGL 3d veiw and everything could happen in 3d, what a tremendous advantage that would be. Floor plans could then be a composition of 2d and 3d information and vectoral output would be calculated at that time. We might even be able to see section cuts with 2d info in the 3d window. Fantastic. Objects that happen above the cut line could be programmed to show dashed or not. I understand some good things are in the works at GS it would be great if they were along these lines.

Just some thoughts.

Mark Gillis
architect