BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Please make it so the Layer Dialog can stay open

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha,
Please make it so the Layer Dialog can stay open. I want the Layer Dialog box open while I turn on/off layers so I can see the effect of my selections.

This would be very helpful and it seems like it would be an easy change. It is clunky to have to open and then close the Layer Dialog Box each time I turn on/off a layer. When I am working on a project the extra steps needed are annoying. Besides that it would be great to be able to see the layers turn on and off as I select and deselect them.

This seems like it would be an easy modification to make in the software with a big improvement in productivity.

If you want to see how this works take a look at programs like formZ where the Layer Dialog is a window that can be left open while working on a project. I just reach over and turn layers on and off at will.

This is especially helpful when trying to isolate, work on or lock layers that are hard to select. It is also helpful if you are collaborating on a project and you need to figure out what layer an item is on.

Thank you,
John
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha Dean,
Thanks for the tip. It works but what I really want is to be able to leave open all of the pallets so I can work on them on the fly. Photoshop lets you do this as does FormZ and it is a great feature.
I hope all is going well.
Aloha,
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
I too have used form•Z, enjoyed the non-modal layers palette and long wished for such a feature in ArchiCAD. Not an essential feature (layer hierarchy is more important in my estimation) but certainly a nice option to have. Of course there is also the problem of cluttering the screen with more palettes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Of course there is also the problem of cluttering the screen with more palettes.
Aloha Matthew,
Which is why I use three screens.
Still wanting all of the ArchiCAD palettes to be able to remain open. Adobe offers this option for their palettes. Graphisoft can too. We just need to ask for it.
Mahalo,
john
Anonymous
Not applicable
johncassel wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Of course there is also the problem of cluttering the screen with more palettes.
Aloha Matthew,
Which is why I use three screens.
Still wanting all of the ArchiCAD palettes to be able to remain open. Adobe offers this option for their palettes. Graphisoft can too. We just need to ask for it.
Mahalo,
john
The general rule is the fewer modal dialogs the better. I can understand that some things require a big *ss dialog to give full control over some features but having to use them for common tasks is a no no. (BTW: just about everything in Revit requires modal dialogs that make ArchiCAD look modern.)

I agree with the general sentiment that AC is due for a major interface overhaul. Of course I'm sure there would be complaints too, but just so long as they don't decide to go with the MS ribbon thing. That thing is stupid, clumsy and arbitrary.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely! I have 4 monitors, so have plenty of screen room, and can't count how many times I open that dialog each session.
Anonymous
Not applicable
peter_h wrote:
Absolutely! I have 4 monitors, so have plenty of screen room, and can't count how many times I open that dialog each session.
Opening and closing dialog boxes slows me down. I don't think that all of the Adobe applications would be as powerful and as widely used if they didn't have put a lot of thought into the interface.
I'm asking that the development wizards at Graphisoft give some real consideration to improving the ArchiCAD interface by making it so the various palettes can stay open while working on a project.
Please
Mahalo,
John
Learn and get certified!