Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Prevent locked objects from being selectable

Professor Pickle
Advocate
When working with a busy model it is often difficult to select the right object/element. Tabbing through the available selection candidates sometimes doesn't work and it takes a bit of zooming in and out to finally get at the right thing.

Other times we have some objects whose shape and position has been set and locked and they won't change. Selecting those elements doesn't make sense most of the time.

It would be really helpful if there was a way to disable selection of locked items. This of course would be a toggle option of the selection process.
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

20 REPLIES 20
DGSketcher
Legend
Ok, you have your toggle, what happens if you want to unlock the Locked element?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
jl_lt
Ace
i think this would be very useful. This happens to me a lot with section markers and overhead slabs. If im working on a specific floor i want to select that floor slab first, not the one above. Also, I dont want to be turning on and off stuff just so i dont select them or worse, creating new layer combos just for this. Maybe a selection hierarchy list could be useful
Barry Kelly
jl_lt wrote:
Maybe a selection hierarchy list could be useful

A pop-out list of selectable elements might be a nice idea.
But for now you can cycle through them with the TAB key.
The element you are about to select will pre-highlight with its info in the pop-out info box.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted to express their opinion.

I am happy to say this wish has been recorded in our WishList database already (please refer to it in the future as Wish #11816). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Nader Belal
Mentor
Personally, I´m more in favour with Barry's Opinion.

To @Tomek Piatek,
Have you tried selection using schedules ?? Or Selection by filters ??
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry’s idea of a pop out listing the elements has been in AutoCAD for quite a while and from my use I feel is slower than tabbing through elements like in Archicad
Scott
jl_lt
Ace

I think that what Mr. Tomek is talkin about is that sometimes you have something in your drawing or view that is already set and should not move again, but you still want to keep seeing it while working yet it actually interferes with your selections everytime you click on it (section markers with distance are particularly cumbersome on this). So i think what he is asking for isa n option to remove locked objects out of the selection cycle without turning them off. Personally i would find this quite useful

Professor Pickle
Advocate
DGSketcher wrote:
Ok, you have your toggle, what happens if you want to unlock the Locked element?
You toggle the toggle so that you can select locked elements 😉

-t
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

Hi! two years are gone already, but this function is still not available...i'm working on a project where the terrain mesh is gigantic and locking the specified layer is not enough...every single mouse click will select the mesh and as you can image, is impossible to work on it!! please make it happen!!

Schermata 2022-05-02 alle 23.35.45.png