Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Productivity, Productivity, Productivity ArchiCAD 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
What are the 3 P's when buying real-estate?

What are the 3 P's when buying cad software?

Ok ArchiCAD wish list for 17 is done and dusted.

We need to start our wish list immediately after we receive ArchiCAD 17 so we don't miss the boat or is even that too late for an ArchiCAD 18 wish list?

Will a Touch Screen UI speed up productivity for a future version of ArchiCAD lets say for AC 18?

What changes would they need to make in the current UI and how long would it take?

IMO I would think whoever is the first to get this up and running in the CAD market will be a winner of many more users?
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
AFAIK 17 is in beta and 18 is under development with the major features already fixed. I wouldn't be surprised if 19 and 20 are already sketched out but there's probably still some room for adjustments.

Realistically though requests for specific versions are more for our own entertainment than for actual input to GS' development schedule. They do pay attention to the overall wish list though and it does inform overall development decisions. So however we want to express our desires is fine.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
AFAIK 17 is in beta and 18 is under development with the major features already fixed. I wouldn't be surprised if 19 and 20 are already sketched out but there's probably still some room for adjustments.

Realistically though requests for specific versions are more for our own entertainment than for actual input to GS' development schedule. They do pay attention to the overall wish list though and it does inform overall development decisions. So however we want to express our desires is fine.
Matthew what is AFAIK?

And are we wasting our time on something like making a wish lists and being unproductive at the same time?

I hope not?
Rod Jurich
Contributor
mthd wrote:
..... what is AFAIK?
.............. see this LINK
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
mthd wrote:
Matthew what is AFAIK?
As Far As I Know
And are we wasting our time on something like making a wish lists and being unproductive at the same time?

I hope not?
If it's taking time away from work, family, entertainment, sleeping, eating, etc then it's probably not the best use of your time.

If it's just something to do while you wait for a long process to complete or a chance to hang with the rest of us during your coffee break then it's probably worth it. Just be realistic that the likelihood that any particular suggestion will actually influence development is pretty small.
Karl Ottenstein
Hi all,

Let me repeat what I've posted in the past when someone started a generic 16 wish thread and later a generic 17 wish thread:

PLEASE do not post an 'everything' / generic wish like this. There is no way that Graphisoft can easily sort through all of the comments that will appear.

Instead, make each wish a specific item. Yeah, some people have 50 things they wish AC would have ... that means 50 wishes and a lot of work for you. But, otherwise, you're just venting to the universe. It might make you feel better, and maybe it is worth venting for that alone. But, if you actually want to see your suggestions prioritized, it is more productive to make one wish - in the appropriate Wish forum (there are several - please check) - for each feature.

Before you start a new wish, please do a search to see if it already exists here on the forums. Waking up that wish by posting in its thread to get more votes is more useful than having several duplicate wishes. (There is no way that we moderators can merge identical wishes and keep the votes - the votes disappear if we try to merge.)

Do what makes you happy and you have time for. 😉 But, don't get angry if GS doesn't find your wishes if you don't follow the above.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
One wish at a time on the wish list forum?

I am not OK with that.

I don't wish for anything because I don't believe in fairy tales like most of us.

I will make suggestions on how ArchiCAD can improve though even if it is one at a time after doing a search for that suggestion.

The users of the program should have a big say in what they want and especially those who are on subscription's for many years now.

Leave it to a hierarchy and you will get behind the eight ball trying to tweak the dollars.

I think Revit has taken over much of our ground lately and that may show that the current system of wish lists maybe failing?

One big suggestion "listen to us more carefully and you will leave Revit in the dust"
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
As Karl said, we do read these forums
We are also always talking to our customers and getting feedback from users, this site is only one of many channels.

Thanks.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Karl Ottenstein
@mthd, As James says, GS does read these forums - but when you say "listen to us" - when one user out of 200,000 says they want something, how does GS decide that it is something that many users want?

Well, if that user is at a firm with 500 seats, they probably listen! 🙂

For the rest of us, there is power in numbers, which is the purpose of the wish-per-thread with the voting polls. This focuses the discussion on one particular item so that the designers can review all comments related to that item, rather than try to find random related posts scattered about.

There is power in ideas of course, too ... and a shining idea can get buried in a long "I want, I want" post. Let good ideas stand out.

As I said, do what makes you happy. I'm just suggesting how these forums are organized and how one is most likely to make an impact.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it is difficult when you don't have specific requests outlined one by one in a forum like this.

Reading an individual suggestion is not the same as listening carefully so I can see why a poll on that suggestion would be helpful in prioritising what needs to be worked on. I don't think most users have the time to read each individual request in order to poll, do they?

The general direction that Graphisoft needs to develop ArchiCAD in, can be hard to define.

How much importance do you place on being ahead of the competition or on just keeping your existing users happy not going to Revit or others?

For example there are users here that have been using ArchiCAD for many years and they have decided or their employers have decided that Revit is a better option for productivity.

Should this not be of major concern to the ArchiCAD developers or not?

The big end of town probably uses both programs and that's why BIM is such a big deal now in the commercial field?

No matter what, productivity rules in the AEC world and that sometimes means using a group of programs that some employees are familiar with to escape learning curves and other problems that slow down productivity.

Now with BIM it does not matter so much what software we use?

BTW this is a General Wishes part of the forum not Specific Wishes.