Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Program Feedback: On Screen Display - 3D OSD Dynamic Interactive Icon Navigator

Anonymous
Not applicable
You know about the car navigation that shows your car position in relation to its context in 3D and updates it with a live view.

Not so complex but something similar would benefit with 3D navigation within an inuitive manner.

A relative small, but not to small, icon in the corner that represents the current view in a schematic matter would give beneficial feedback. For example a 3D schematic house that rotates synchronised with the orbit procedures will give you feedback in which direction you are viewing.

The 'large' icon could be interactive. This means when clicked on it you might go to the home view. Or when clicked on the sides you might go to the 3D view from that direction. Or when you Shift click on it the 3D view might change perpendicular to this side with axonometry activated.

This could also be achieved with the default static views. But this means leaving the 3D procedure and the 3D interaction. This implementation means enhancing and prolonging the 3D capabilities.

Also the Navigator has the ability to change your view. Using this method there is no feedback of where you are in the 3D space.
(By (optionally) introducing this method the navigator could be simplified by the user or developer, if desired.)

Finally, see other 3D software. Have seen something like this several times before with the benefit it achieves.
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Perhaps you could turn on your Navigator Preview - which can be docked with your other palettes along the side of your screen if you wish - and tell us what you would like that this 20+ year old feature does not already provide?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice, will check it out. Good that you tell me. Didn't found that. There might be room for improvements of course (why not on by default, more simpel menu?) Anyway will check and tell.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well...

... you already know about this limitted feauture.

You said, from initial development of 20 years ago?!

(A seperate bordered window on top of your work environment with a top view and an arrow (in place of your viewig eye or camera), pointing in your viewing direction.)

This doesn't come close what I mean.

(The view navigator was implemented a while ago and if it was developed any further does not even matter anymore.)

(Could talk about ergonomics, true inuitive desgine, good basis etc. But as developers I'm sure you are of understanding.)

If the meaning of what I have posted doesn't get understand (or its possible value), besides the matter if you like it or not, than I not might be the person of telling you this.

Have a look at other 3D software. Their examples speak for themself. Clearly, Far beyond I ever could do with so many words.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
3x3 wrote:
(Could talk about ergonomics, true intuitive design, good basis, etc. But as developers, I'm sure you are of understanding.)
If the meaning of what I have posted doesn't get understand (or its possible value), besides the matter if you like it or not then I not might be the person telling you this.
Have a look at other 3D software. Their examples speak for themself. Clearly, Far beyond what I ever could do with so many words.
Just FYI: none of us are developers, this is a user community, but sometimes Graphisoft developers answer API/Python-related questions in the Developer forum.
This is why people create wishes so that they can be forwarded to the Product Managers of Graphisoft for future consideration.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27