Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Projected view for Beams in Plan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Simple wish and there doesn't appear to be one on Beams but somewhat related to this thread:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=15891

Beams should have proper projection of cut beam on floor plan.

The generic 2D outline is not good enough! Especially with profiled beams and Custom profiles.
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't fully understand this wish, specifically:

1. How is this wish different from the other wish you linked to? That wish is about Cover Fills for Beams.
2. If this is not about cover fills, then what is it missing for you? The FloorPlan Display field offers all the options that other element types have as well: Projected, Projected With OVerhead, etc.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Unless I'm doing something stupid, I can't get a beam to display correctly in 2D. When placed at midway through the cutting plane level, an I section beam should show it cut through, not just the generic outline.

I've attached a screenshot - the beam on the right (canted at 45deg) shows the I-Section cut through. But when the beam is horizontal with the Floor plan cut plane cut through it, it doesn't display the cut, just displays the generic outline.
Beam is set to Projected, To Floor Plan Range and to display on All Relevant stories.

more screenshots to follow.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Section showing beams and default cutting plane location
Anonymous
Not applicable
On the linked thread, Karl said this: "Doesn't putting the cut plane through the upper beams achieve the same result? (If your cut fill is a solid fill ... or you use a Model View Option...)"

I can't seem to get this to work. I've tried many combinations, maybe am missing something..?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I see what you mean.
I think you found the one case that is not implemented. I think ARCHICAD simply does not calculate cut geometry for Beams when they are horizontal.
It only does it for inclined Beams but I checked and it seems that the incline angle has to be at least 0.0001 degrees or something for it to generate the horizontal section, so it won't work with zero degree inclined Beams either.
This is a limitation.

So, based on this, I think the wish should be called: "True Horizontal Cut for Horizontal Beams" or something similar.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27