BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Prompt User to Release All When Closing Project

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some users in my office forget to release everything they have reserved in a teamwork project when they are finished working for the day. (Actually, everyone has done it at one time, including myself) This becomes a problem when they don't plan on going back in the model for a prolonged period of time. Then, when you or another user needs what they have reserved, it becomes a production slowdown to get the elements released.

It would be great if ArchiCAD prompted you with "Would you like to release all your reserved elements & attributes" after you run the Close Project command. The prompting dialog box would have a "Yes, Release All" option button and a "No" button.

I thought for sure this would already be a wish, but I could not find it...
6 REPLIES 6
dhaval7shah
Newcomer
Scott, the BIM server manager or the server/project administrator can do 'force leave' for that user so the elements reserved by that user get released.

The other thing is, many times the reservation of elements becomes very selective, so that time releasing all and then reserving again on next login could be tedious or time consuming. So the release all' option should come as reminder and also as an option (not mandatory) while logging out.
That will be better i think.
Dhaval Shah
Upto AC 22
iMacs and MacBookPros: Mac OS X (10.6 to 10.12, Intel core 2 Quad to i5, i7, 8 GB to 16GB)
Win 10, AMD Opteron 6-Core x 2, 16GB, FirePro W4100 2GB
& ThinkPad E550
& i7, 8GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, that is a good point about the tedious selection set that you would want to keep. Therefore you would click No.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
This option already exists in the Work Environment settings of ArchiCAD 14. The problem with it is that it only works if you have unsaved changes. Ideally it would work regardless of unsaved changes or method of closing/exiting.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the tip. I would like to be able to control that option on the BIM Server in the project settings instead. That way it can be controlled centrally by the model manager.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Yes indeed. The local data manager is a bit of a teaser in this regard. You can delete someone's local data and release their reservations, but it's only local and you can't send their changes in the process.

This is an area where I have made ~multiple~ wishes to GSHQ, but with the amount of BIM Manager vs. User wishes I am not holding my breath.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
"so that time releasing all and then reserving again on next login could be tedious or time consuming"

maybe a 'save reservation' would be good, so that you could reserve (or request if in use) all the elements in the reservation group upon next opening.
It's possible now to save a search criteria in the reserve elements dialogue box, but that could easily get too complex to be useful.
Learn and get certified!