Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Prompt when Publisher Folder does not exist or file is going to be overridden

jakubc7
Advocate

Is there an option to receive a pop-up prompt when Publishing PDFs or other formats to a folder that does not exist or when Archicad is going to override existing files. I'm sure I'm not the only one that lost important files when someone clicks publish without checking the save location or end up creating a bunch of new folders because the file location no longer exists.

I do not see any options in WORK ENVIROMENT > DATA SAFETY.

If not possible, can GS please look into implementing this.

ArchiCAD 10 - 25 | Windows 10
ARCHIcreate | Perth, Western Australia
archicad solutions | content creation | training | software implementation
18 REPLIES 18

@jakubc7 Two things to check...

1. You need to tick the Merge button in Publisher properties for the folders that you want as multi-page...

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 11.12.04.png

2. And check your Publisher set properties...

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 11.15.16.png

If you have used the "Create single file" option then I am guessing AC may be using the name of the last file in your published file list. I don't have any problems when using merge and flat file structure.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Thanks @DGSketcher . I was indeed using the SINGLE FILE option.

Having a go at your method and I am having a little more success (revisions are coming through etc) but still running into problems. See attached. If the below was the only issue then I could work around it, but I assume there would be many other errors that come up the more I play with this function.

I am using the below naming:

<PROJECTNUMBER>_<YEARSHORT><MONTHNUMBER><DAYOFMONTH>_Rev<CURRENTISSUEID>_<SUBSETNAME>_<PROJECTSTATUS>

• Using <SUBSETNAME> picks up the first subset in the project only. I have an INTERIOR DESIGN subset which is being named ARCHITECTURAL
  • PROJECT INFO doesn't update until I go in and out of the publisher set (not a big deal but clearly something is off)

@DGSketcher do you have more than one SUBSET and if so, do you use them in your PDF filename?

I would like to hear what Graphisoft would say about this. Seems like it's a function that may work for some (depending how they setup their template) but may not be intended for wider use or rolled out officially. 

@Minh Nguyen any chance you can follow this up with the developers. There is clearly something off with this and I would love to have this working.

2022-11-07_10h01_42.png

@jakubc7 wrote:

@Minh Nguyen any chance you can follow this up with the developers. There is clearly something off with this and I would love to have this working.

Minh doesn't work at Graphisoft any more, so don't expect him to reply. 😢

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

That's a real shame. He seems to do a real good job at monitoring these forums and actually getting the issues through to GS. It was much easier than "going through the reseller" which rarely gets you anywhere.

That's is a shame, he was always polite & keen to help.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

@jakubc7 The only difference I see in my set up is I have a Host folder and all my Merged folders (more than 1) are below this level. I can't think why it would make a difference, but Publisher auto text can be a bit unstable.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Guys, I will forward it to GS HQ so they can take a look at this issue.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Thanks @Laszlo Nagy  . It would be great to see this functioning correctly.

Benjamin Dani
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear All,

Thank you for sharing your ideas and opinions regarding this request!

I'm glad to say that we took notice and we have added this wish into our Wish list database.
(For future reference, you can refer to it as IDEA-12373)

I hope we see this get implemented in the future.

Have a great day!

Best regards,

Dani Benjamin
Technical Support Engineer