BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Quick Layers Palette isn't compatible with hotlink modules

hfy
Participant

Hi all, we always working in big complex projects with using few hotlinks in file and i really like the practicality of 'quick layers' palette. I guess there is some compatibility issue between these two. When i select an element of a hotlink and use 'hide other's layer' button, model completely disappears because it hides hotlink's master layer as well. I know Archicad mainly meant to use layer combinations, not change layers visibility one by one, but in some situations i need to see only that layer. I wish the palette to recognize selected element's master layer and leave it shown too.

11 REPLIES 11
DavorP
Enthusiast

I can think of at least 2 scenarios where you'd want to be able to hide hotlinks entirely.

If you have a duplex for example and use one side as source and the other is mirrored hotlink. You'd want to be able to turn the hotlink off to publish the source mods.

Second would be a multi building site where you can turn off buildings you don't need to see if you have a master layer for each building.

BIM manager

@hfy wrote:

Barry, please don't act like I am a total newbie.

I have no idea how much experience you have, but I am explaining it for everyone, not just you.

@hfy wrote:

I know which layer it's hiding, but in the end I see nothing in screen.

If you know which layer it is hiding (the master hotlink layer) then that is why you are not seeing anything, because it has turned off the entire hotlink, including what is on the layer that you do want to see.

I know your wish is to keep the master hotlink layer on as well as the layer for the elements you want to see.

I was just trying to explain that is will not be so easy.

As Erwin said, the best option is to hide all the other layers and then just turn your hotlink layer on again.

Not the perfect solution but I think it is the best you will get.

And you say you do this already.

@hfy wrote:

I trust you, but you don't trust me. We NEED hotlink master layers. We work in huge projects and export them to 3ds max as models. In both processes we have to use master layers, for hiding/showing when working fast and exporting as separate models. And what's the point of master layers if I won't use them. Your solution is just a workaround and it's not helpful in our situation.

That is why I said ...  "If you do need a unique master layer, that is fine. You just have to include it in all of your layer combinations".

If you need separate master layers to turn on/off individual hotlinks, then that is what you need.

So know you wish gets even more complicated.

If you want to turn off all other layers except for roofs, you will see the roofs in the main model, the roofs in you hotlink you selected, but do you also want to see the roofs in the other hotlinks.

Somehow Archicad needs to know what layers are master hotlink layers, hence you will have to tag them as such.

But if you could tag them all as master layers so they don't turn off, what happens when you do want to turn them off as you say you do.

Somehow only when using quick layers, will they not turn off?

I am not sure that would be possible.

@hfy wrote:

You can say you don't have time or will to fix this, I understand. I am not here to argue. It's been almost a year since I wish this. After a year you telling me not to use master layers. I better didn't use quick layers. That been my workaround solution for 11 months. I see the conversation is not going anywhere. Still thanks taking your time. 

It is nothing to do with me if it will or won't get fixed.

I am just an Archicad user like yourself.

I have nothing to do with Graphisoft except as a voluntary moderator of this forum.

I am not here to argue either, and I hope it does not seem that I am arguing.

Just putting my thoughts out there about this issue.

Your wish is still there and if people want to vote for it they can.

If Graphisoft picks up on it, I hope this gives them a little more food for thought.

Please don't take this as I am arguing with you or saying this s a bad wish.

Just trying to flesh the problem out.

Maybe someone will have an inspirational idea.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!