BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Quick search bar for everything

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. I guess this is not a new wish but that only justifies the importance of a search function. I was very pleased when the search bar was introduced for the element properties and hoped that it will be implemented everywhere for the new versions of Archicad. Unfortunately not yet in AC21.

So my question is: Is it planned in the future to implement the search function for the whole user interface?

I am sure I am not the only one who is facing this struggle everyday like.
Scrolling throughout the layers for almost a minute just trying to find the one I need. (working with AC SWE where the standard layer set includes more than 200 layers with a hieroglyphic code at the beginning). The same goes for the surfaces, views, layouts, graphic overrides...and many many more.

AC was always about making things more efficient, easier and faster and that is why this issue is important. Because spending 10% of the working time just scrolling is not necessary.
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
It would help if you said what OS you are using. I'm guessing Windows, since MacOS has a lot of built-in search capabilities for the lists that you mention...?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
In Windows you can type the first letter of the layer you want and it will highlight the first in the list starting with that letter.
If you are quick you can type more than the first letter.

Just make sure if you are in the layer settings dialogue that your cursor is not actually in one of the text fields otherwise you will simply edit that field.

This may work in other lists as well.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I am talking about windows.

I know I can type the first letter but all the layers start with a code for example like: A-01SF--E-- Slab so it makes it useless unfortunately.
Same problem for the views, layouts, surfaces..
Often the keyword is not the first word that is why some more sophisticated search would be very helpful.
giza
Booster
This would be very useful for searching views in View Map and layouts in Layout book as sometimes the list can be long and organised in folders it would be great if we could have this feature
Gezim Radoniqi | Architect | BIM Manager @ 4MGroup
ArchiCAD user since version 6
AMD Ryzen 3950X CPU, 64 GB RAM, NVidia RTX 3060 12GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I just tried to place some commands on the menu in the Work Environment Dialog. It would be great if we could also search there for commands because now there are hundreds of them.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Lipi
Participant
Lukas wrote:
Scrolling throughout the layers for almost a minute just trying to find the one I need. (working with AC SWE where the standard layer set includes more than 200 layers with a hieroglyphic code at the beginning).
This is such an issue here in Sweden! Imagine if we could have both folders and search option in layer lists!
ArchiCad 22, Sweden
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
HP ZBook 15u / Intel Core i7 8:e gen. 8550U / 1.8 GHz (4 GHz) / 8 MB Cache
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3100 / Intel HD Graphics 620, 2 GB
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Funny how our standard (NL/SfB) is based on a Swedish standard (SfB) and in practice gives us 54 layers to work with in our template (not counting annotation layers).

All I could say for work-around for now is: get some good favourites in your template that sets all the 'code' up for you (layers, classification, etc), since you can better organise favourites with folders and subfolders.

Schedules solely for the purpose of fixing mistakes in layers and classification and element ID etc are handy too, especially with 'merge similar' function, which will single out the mistakes quickly enough.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!