BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Quicklayers pallette

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is what should be a good tip, but unfortunately it's a wish because Archicad needs to improve the quicklayers. Does this ever happen to anyone else. You're cruising along turning on and off layers. You click on something, right click, pull down to hide layer, but you accidentally hid the wrong layer. Out of reaction, you hit the undo. Of course this only undos your last drawing command.

I think quicklayers is a hidden gem in the rough. It does have a command that lets you undo layer actions. And what I discovered today unlike other pallette commands, is that you can assign keystrokes to Quicklayer commands, because these commands are listed in the Layers menu itself (under the main Option menu). You can keystroke to hide layers, pretty slick. BUT, they didn't include "Undo Layer Action" in that menu, so you don't get to assign a keystroke to it. Big mistake by Graphisoft and I hope it is fixed in 8.1.

Also another pet peeve of mine regarding the Quicklayers is that you can't have the pallette permanently stay up. You close, you have to bring it back everytime along with other palettes that would be nice to keep up also (ie Show Selections, Show Element Information, and Favorites). I hope this has also been fixed in 8.1.
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
virtual-e-home wrote:
You're cruising along turning on and off layers. You click on something, right click, pull down to hide layer, but you accidentally hid the wrong layer. Out of reaction, you hit the undo. Of course this only undos your last drawing command.
I haven't used the hide layer popup since the Quicklayers palette appeared in 8.0. By avoiding it, I haven't had a problem. I have Quicklayers mapped to Ctrl-Shift-L (layers is Ctrl-L) ... and so bring it up quickly whenever I need the functionality...which is often! 😉 QL is one of my favorite new features of 8.0 (and is unchanged in 8.1).
I think quicklayers is a hidden gem in the rough. It does have a command that lets you undo layer actions. And what I discovered today unlike other pallette commands, is that you can assign keystrokes to Quicklayer commands, because these commands are listed in the Layers menu itself (under the main Option menu). You can keystroke to hide layers, pretty slick. BUT, they didn't include "Undo Layer Action" in that menu, so you don't get to assign a keystroke to it. Big mistake by Graphisoft and I hope it is fixed in 8.1.
I agree! This is an inconvenient oversight by GS to include all palette commands except for QL undo and QL redo.
Also another pet peeve of mine regarding the Quicklayers is that you can't have the pallette permanently stay up. You close, you have to bring it back everytime along with other palettes that would be nice to keep up also (ie Show Selections, Show Element Information, and Favorites). I hope this has also been fixed in 8.1.
Not changed in 8.1 ... but again a shortcut like Ctrl-Shift-L isn't that bad to bring it back. By the way, the QL palette is hidden by the 8.1 'full screen *& hide all palettes' command - returns when the screen is restored.

Not disagreeing with you, Brian. I'd like my workspace to come back the way I left it (and as in different wish thread, to be able to have multiple named layouts, docking palettes, etc.....) But, it's not driving me to scream like various pre-8.1/8.0 things did.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a tip on the shortcut key I use to bring up the Quicklayers palette - Ctl+q.

It's a 'quick' left hander with the pinky and middle finger; you hardly even need to look. I find this better than anything on the righthand side of the keyboard if I can avoid it, and it's only two keys.

Cheers, Laurence Brill
I haven't used the hide layer popup since the Quicklayers palette appeared in 8.0. By avoiding it, I haven't had a problem. I have Quicklayers mapped to Ctrl-Shift-L (layers is Ctrl-L) ... and so bring it up quickly whenever I need the functionality...which is often! QL is one of my favorite new features of 8.0 (and is unchanged in 8.1). Karl Ottenstein
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a 'quick' left hander with the pinky and middle finger; you hardly even need to look. I find this better than anything on the righthand side of the keyboard if I can avoid it, and it's only two keys.
This too is my exact philosophy too. I like to keep my right hand on the mouse as much as possible. I also like to have as much of my commands keystroked as opposed to hunting for functions in menus or pallettes.
Gyuri Nyitrai
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Added to ArchiCAD Wishlist:

"This is an inconvenient oversight by GS to include all palette commands except for QL undo and QL redo. "
Balazs Simonyi
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Done in AC9.

Balazs
Learn and get certified!