BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

RGB Fills in ArchiCAD

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Please let us have the flexibility of assigning RGB colors to fills in ArchiCAD. If we can do it in PlotMaker, it shouldn't be hard to implement it in ArchiCAD too.

Cheers,
Link.
7 REPLIES 7
__archiben
Booster
the values would have to be kept outside of the normal pen table, but would certainly prevent the problems of assigning a near-ish pen colour to fills when zones are exploded. (who explodes zones anyway . . . and for that matter, why are zones the only place RGB colours can be assigned. another consistency issue???)

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Vitruvius
Contributor
I'd polled this request some time ago and fully agree that RGB fills should be available as per Plotmaker. I like the control and consistency that this brings as I can match colours from any source (ie Photoshop, Illustrator).

And basically, if it's in PlotMaker, why isn't it in the flagship product ArchiCAD?
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
Andy Thomson
Advisor

2004, still waiting? Plotmaker 😂

Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro

I totally agree, but I guess this would not be a trivial task as the pen dialog is pretty embedded in tools' code structures... also, workflow-wise, if the user relies on "model pens" and "printing pens" penset table workflow it would be really difficult to map RGB fills used in 2D/S/E/Details etc views to printed penset. Well, at least it could lead to "unexpected" UX results.

::rk

It's easy to add new 'surfaces' as RGB and apply them (surfaces) as 'fills' - why not just short circuit pens and add an RGB radio to the fills dialogue? Currently I'm just needlessly polluting my surfaces with RGB variations to apply to fills to do a wee graphics project...

Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

>>why not just short circuit pens and add an RGB radio to the fills dialogue?<<

well, what I have learnt in my 10 year tenure at GS is what we see as users at UI level is just the proverbial tip of the iceberg... it means actually implementing the data structures that would hold this information with fills, adjusting Find&Select, Override Rules (e.g by fill pen) etc... don't get me wrong, I really see your point here. This task would require substantial resources and time that we would need to re-allocate from something other projects.

::rk
Barry Kelly

We can override a fill background with RGB colour in the Graphic Overrides, so we are part way there.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!