Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Railing | Top Rail and Rails Settings

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
So far, I'm pretty impressed with the new Stair and Rail Tools -- I just wish the Help was more helpful.

Not a deal-braker, but it would be nice to be able to control the ends of the rails similar to how the top and bottom of posts can be controlled (either Vertical or Perpendicular to Post). Maybe I'm just missing something in the settings, but it sure seems like I've tried everything.

Rails.jpg
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
4 REPLIES 4
DGSketcher
Legend
I can't help, but I share your frustration with the available help. The stairs & rails look to be very powerful tools which have a very steep learning curve. I hope GS will continue with developing them as they get more real world feedback on what does & doesn't work.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Only for the moment:
Increase size (wide) of Handrail +0,1 MILLIMETER!
It looks a bit better, but the problem with the first post is not solved. Therefore CUTPLANES in GLD are needed.
Best regards
Mario
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Laura wrote:
So far, I'm pretty impressed with the new Stair and Rail Tools -- I just wish the Help was more helpful.

Not a deal-breaker, but it would be nice to be able to control the ends of the rails similar to how the top and bottom of posts can be controlled (either Vertical or Perpendicular to Post). Maybe I'm just missing something in the settings, but it sure seems like I've tried everything.
Laura,

Yes, decreasing the Width of that Rail just a bit is a good idea because then it will look like the Posts cut the Rails. That is a good tip.

About the connection of the End Post and the Toprail:

In the attached screenshot I did the following trick: I deleted the End Post and used a Toprail End with the Curve Geometry Option, so the Toprail turns downward at the position of the End Post and that way you get a correct connection between the Toprail and Post parts.
TopRail90DegreeDown.png
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laszlo your method is useful, but I have some issues with it. The bottom end looks fine, but the top one has a wierd look. It seems the toprail extends over the end. It seems to only do that on the top post of a sloped rail. I found out it only does this wierd intersection when the "first extension/substraction" is less then the thickness of the toprail.

To achieve my desired result, I would like to put fixtures to the rail extension. So far I have made my posts really, really small (almost invisible) so I can add the fixture to it. The problem is that I would like to have the rail extension and post in the same line, so the fixture would appear in the right place. Is there a way to do this with sloped and straight rail?