Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Re-Use option/ phase in Renovation

Eske
Contributor

A Big wish would be to have a Re-use option/ phase in the Renovation. Many offices are looking to re-use building elements in order to achieve a more sustainable built environment. 

A nice green color would be great to document which elements are meant to be Re-Used in a different position or another project. The Craftperson/ demolition crew will have a clear understanding of which parts to handle with extra care and put in storage. Adding a green Re-Use option to the already great Renovation red and blue scheme would also make collaboration in planning phases much more smooth.

Hope it's possible

Best Regards 

Eske

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi All,

Thank you very much for sharing this great idea!

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it to our Wish List database (please refer to it as IDEA-9222). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Vasileios S_
Advocate

I totally agree with this! I think I've made this wish long time ago!

I somethimes come across projects that we change the floor and we reuse the radiators in different places.

You cannot build a line.
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi All,

Thank you very much for sharing this great idea!

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it to our Wish List database (please refer to it as IDEA-9222). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Eske
Contributor

Hi Minh

Great to hear 🙂

Thanks and you too!

Eske

Tinou
Enthusiast

Hi,

I would also suggest a "renew" option for elements that stay in place and need some simple changes.

For example, if I want to renew an existing wall, may be I will change it's composite or just paint it with an other surface.

Many many times, I want to change some settings of a door or window from existing to projected phase. In reality, to change for example the handle of a door, we will not destroy it, rebuild the wall, then create the same opening and put a new frame and door...

Current workoround is to duplicate the element and edit the changes. One is setted as "destroyed", the other as "new". Then it appears in demolition plans and scedule or in construction plans and scedule, but in fact it souldn't.

One question is : Which changes can be accepted in this "renew" option ? All possible changes ? Or just some of them ? How far could it be possible and logical to edit a renewed element ?

Anyway, I believe this "renew" (or change) option could be as interesting as "re-use" is.

Re-use : keep settings and change location.

Re-new : keep location and change settings.

Tinou.

Étienne - AC 24 - France
Francois_MCD
Expert

Hi @Eske I actually think I have a workflow that solves this request / question using the built in Archicad's current tools.

I bookmarked your post some time ago because I had the same question as we do a lot similar renovation projects. And @Tinou's very relevant comment expanding the application of this request / question, brought this post back to me.

My workflow is quite simple:

While we wait for Graphisoft, I started testing this workaround and it actually works just fine and it's actually easy. Here's how I set it up:

1. Create a "Status Property" that is an "Option Set" with all the "element statuses" I need (Existing, Demolished, New, Re-purpose [Re-use], Upgrade / Replace, etc).
  2. Link the "Property" to ALL "Classifications".
  3. Create "Graphic Override Rules" using each "Status Property" as "Criteria" according to the output I require for these element statuses.
  4. Set up "Graphic Overrides" from these rules as needed and link it to the "Saved Views" of the drawings I need to publish for a project.
  5. All you need to do then is to model as usual and select the "Status Property" from the "Option Set" on each model element.

The "Graphic Override Rules" are triggered by the "Status Property" setting which gives you full control of all the different element statuses. You can even use the "Status Property" as "Criteria" for "Schedules". I have been using this setup as part of my template since Nov 2022 and it is predictable & stable. 

This very clever video by @John Halgarth from CONTRABIM takes the Renovation Filters far beyond the usual and gave me a lot of ideas for this workflow.

CONTRABIM - Using the Renovation Tool to Create Multiple Design Options

https://www.contrabim.com/blog/using-the-renovation-tool-to-create-multiple-design-options

And we might not have to wait for that much longer. We can now look forward to Graphisoft's solution for this request, hopefully in Archicad 27 as listed on their "Graphisoft Roadmap: Coming Soon - Design Options". 

Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course

@Francois_MCD Thank you for your elaborate workflow description. I will test it as soon as possible.