BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Reassign Materials

genarch
Enthusiast
I'd like the ability to reassign all materials using material 'x' to material 'y' within the attributes manager.

Often times, we copy and paste objects into current model files and this brings in unwanted materials. It'd be great to be able to, in one step, reassign all objects using a specified material a new material. Then the unwanted material could be deleted. For example, I'd reassign all objects having the material 'Aluminum' to 'Stainless Steel'.
Mac OSX 13.6.5

AC27&26, Artlantis 2020, TwinMotion

iMac Pro 2017 / 8-core 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM
17 REPLIES 17
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Or updating old projects to a new office standard! Essential for all attributes IMO. How would you want it to work? (I have some ideas, but would like to hear how others think about this)...in fact, you posted that on my birthday. I'd have to say that is a pretty near and dear wish to me! (a seriously revamped AM)
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
AND:(although this may be listed elsewhere??) Can we PLEASE get the door and window materials parameter box updated so that the materials are linked. i.e you don't have to waste time changing 4 or 5 materials (leaf, door frame, outer leaf etc) from Pine to Aluminium.

and yes I know you can set up favourites with the materials but it's not good enough. we do a lot of custom design in our office and often need to customise objects which makes favourites useless.
GAG
Advocate
Mark wrote:
Can we PLEASE get the door and window materials parameter box updated so that the materials are linked. i.e you don't have to waste time changing 4 or 5 materials (leaf, door frame, outer leaf etc) from Pine to Aluminium.
+1

It's really annoying to change all these materials step by step. It's the most non-automated action in GDL objects. What about multiple materials selection? In plus I miss functionality of Arexline's add-on AutoMaterials which exists only for old version of ArchiCAD (v9.0). That add-on allows you to automatically (!) add materials option to the script, without doing it manually after saving custom objects as .gsm.
George
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am voting essential as part of an overall improvement to attribute manager, including merge layers, etc.

I also have been asking for external materials libraries (and shared attributes in general) so that a project material can be assigned by application (such as "first floor siding", "lobby paint" or "trim color") and then specified from an external reference (such as "Brick veneer, running bond, Belden, Frosted White", "White, Benjamin Moore, Aquavelvet", etc.)

BTW: I also feel strongly that the "materials" need to be renamed "finishes" to eliminate the confusion with components. In other words, a wall may be made of concrete (the component) but be painted, sealed, or left as untreated concrete (the finish).
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I'm voting essential too.

Power User/CAD Manager control over ALL the attributes is long overdue. This should include merging, swapping and changing index numbers. We also need a preference to prohibit GDL objects or add-ons from creating attributes without permission. Our good friends at Cadimage and Cigraph are out of control in this area and wreak havoc with our carefully crafted templates.

This control needs to be accompanied by a published standard for GDL and add-on authoring, the complete lack of which has resulted in a lot of the gobbldygook we have now.

Lastly, Favorites, MVO Combos, Dimension Standards should all become attributes that can be managed with AM.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
....I also have been asking for external materials libraries (and shared attributes in general) so that a project material can be assigned by application (such as "first floor siding", "lobby paint" or "trim color") and then specified from an external reference (such as "Brick veneer, running bond, Belden, Frosted White", "White, Benjamin Moore, Aquavelvet", etc.)

BTW: I also feel strongly that the "materials" need to be renamed "finishes" to eliminate the confusion with components. In other words, a wall may be made of concrete (the component) but be painted, sealed, or left as untreated concrete (the finish).
I think you're spot on Matthew.

First of all, I agree, get rid of the word ‘material’. It suggests that an element is made entirely of something, rather than just a coating affecting its exterior appearance. The description of what an element is made of internally should be left to hatches.

To organise finishes, how about a feature similar to the Project Info Autotext, (AutoFinish? ) maybe under a separate tab, where you have a list of user-configurable entries, each specifying a particular 'finish' that you wish to utilise in your building in a particular position.

It should be set up in orderable columns. (Same as project info list) The default list of columns could be something along the lines of the following.

- The first should specify its use and would be the descriptive name used to identify it e.g. Bed1 floor, Study walls, External brickwork, Roof tiles, Electrical sockets, Stair carpet, Inside of the cupboard under the stairs!!

- The next could specify the surface it is applied to e.g. wall, floor, ceiling, architraves, roof.

- The next could specify interior, exterior or landscaping use.

- Lastly select the actual texture with any bump mapping or shaders applied to it as we do currently.

This would allow you to alphabetically filter the list under each column heading. For example, you could clearly show all the external finishes being used or show all the finishes to a particular room.

There could actually be any number of user-defined headings to the columns, their use purely to help organise the list in any order that would be the most useful. E.g. Surface finish – gloss, matt, eggshell, natural. Application – brush, sprayed, trowelled, laid. Manufacturer – Dulux, Farrow & Ball etc etc. You could possibly add quite detailed specification notes and link this all into the scheduling functions in AC, which could be quite powerful.

When working in any elements settings dialog you should only be able to select one of the preset finishes for each face with no option of picking a material specifically. Even if you need a one-off you should be forced to create a new AutoFinish entry.

This would cut down the on the currently long list of materials to choose from when choosing finishes on an element, therefore speeding things up, and would also allow you to globally change all of the textures assigned to a particular use at the same time (assuming you had set all the outer wall faces to ‘External brickwork’ for example!!)

You also should be able to export this list to other projects if you have a standard ‘palette’ of finishes and then add project specific ones afterwards to save time.

It would also be nice if any library parts used added AutoFinish entries automatically, and removed them if they were deleted.

All in all, this would be a hugely powerful tool over what we have at the moment, and could save much time, ensure greater consistency, and would enable the rapid evaluation of different finish palettes, both for interior design and architecture.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the above ramble?

Cheers,

Pete.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter,

Thanks for the compliment.

I agree generally with what you suggest but it sounds a bit complicated. A user definable hierarchy of both project materials (by application) and an external reference library (for specifications) would do the trick. I would leave the organization of these up to the end users (and manufacturers etc.). GS should just provide some simple examples to get people started.

Browsing in columns is cool but that's more of a Mac thing (unless Vista has copied it) so just a list view with folders would be OK with me.

Of course as I said, this should also be part of a larger renovation of attributes, but just the renaming would be good for a start.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to bump this to the top again! I've been playing with my idea of how finishes might work as I was a bit bored.

I've mocked up roughly what I would expect to see in the Project Finishes box and also how the finish would be displayed and selected in the elements settings.

Each column in the Project Finishes box can be ordered alphabetically by clicking on the column title, as you can currently with Project info and Layers. The 'Use' and 'Position' columns are there purely to organise the list to quickly find a finish if you have many to choose from.

Clicking each Finish Texture button opens the material list as we have now (should be called 'texture list' or something instead).

When selecting a finish in an elements settings box it should actually launch the Project Finishes window rather than just a long list, so you can use the columns to quickly order and find the required finish.

Also note that the default finish for any element should be the undeletable 'ArchiCAD Finish' with a suitably garish texture to visually alert you that you need to assign a finish.

Any more thoughts? Is it still too complicated? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Have I wandered completely off-topic?
finishes_layout.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Proposed element settings dialog box.

Cheers!
finishes_layout2.jpg
Learn and get certified!