BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Relink Home Story

Erich
Contributor
While I cannot speak to the work flow for others, for me the new (with 17) automatic linking of elements to a home story based on 3D positioning is a very poorly implemented "feature" and is one that is causing me a great deal of pain.

I wish for the option to change this functionality. I would like a button in the in Work Environment settings to use the new functionality or prefer the older (pre 17) functionality. Along with this, I would like to have a simple button to push on an operation by operation basis to change the W.E. determined functionality.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a VERY big deal for me. So far I have not had time to see if there are any workarounds or consider what would constitute a reasonable fix that would enable the advantages (assuming they are real) of the new features while not scrapping the old ones.

As it stands I may have to relegate ArchiCAD to my smaller hobby projects and use other programs on my larger, "real" jobs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I may be on the wrong track with this - is this about linking, say, the top of a wall to the storey above, or automatic assignment of storey setting based on the elevation of a new (or copied) element. If it's the latter, read on...

With certain objects (Cadimage Boundary for example) it is possible to place the object on a storey which is not the home storey. The warning dialogue below pops up. Would it be enough that if an element was intending to change home storey that a similar warning appeared and gave an option to do something about it?
Erich
Contributor
S3art,

While having a pop up warning with an button option would be an improvement over the steps currently required, I was thinking more of having a button in the info box or in the tracker that would be less obtrusive.

My thought was that the main behavior control occurs in the work environment and an override option occurs in the operational context.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I would select essential as many times as I could on this issue. I just spent a day "teaching" someone new to Archicad and had to correct so many times it was embarrassing. I should have trained him on ver 16.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Eduardo Rolon
It would be interesting to know the reasoning behind the not needed vote.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

David Collins
Advocate
ejrolon wrote:
It would be interesting to know the reasoning behind the not needed vote.
Guilty!
I confess it was an ill-considered vote. I just wasn't sure that a complete global disable was the best way to go. For some reason with my own workflow I rarely run into a problem with this feature, though I have great sympathy for the pain of those that do. It was one of those instances when the ability to change or withdraw a vote would have been nice... in this case about 90 seconds after I had cast it.

Update, two weeks later: As I'm working with more with ArchiCAD 17, I'm starting to collect my own horror stories concerning this feature. Forget the option to disable: it should be eliminated altogether! "Relink Home Story" just fixes behavior that never should have been there in the first place.
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Learn and get certified!