Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Removing layers procedures

Might we add to the Attribute Manager (then roll the whole thing into the layer dialog):

1. Send elements on deleted layers to the ArchiCAD layer, or prompt the user for a layer for this purpose.

2. Merge a layer into another. When you merge data from an old project, sometimes standards have changed and you end up with two layers of nearly the same name and exactly the same function, causing confusion going forward.

3. Stop reporting that a layer is in use when it is merely currently set in a tool default. Or differentiate these uses.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am surprised to see three people have voted "Not needed". I think this would be a significant help.

Most of my work in the last few years has been setting up and maintaining standards, I have done MANY layer conversions. They are quite tedious and filled with potential for errors. Having to turn on one layer at a time, search through the entire project for all elements on that layer and move them to the new and/or correct layer, and then having to repeat the process for all the affected layers (ALL the layers in a standards conversion process) is a very unpleasant job.

It seems that automating this in Attribute Manager would be fairly easy to do and tremendously helpful for establishing, maintaining and updating layer standards. I suppose that those who find this unnecessary must have all their layers clearly established for a long time and have no expectation of any need to ever change them.

OOPS. I just went back and read the original request ("purge unused layer") and now understand the "Not needed" votes.

It seems that this wish should be reconstituted to reflect James suggestions since they are quite important.

What is the best way to do this Djordje?
Djordje
Ace
Matthew wrote:
IOOPS. I just went back and read the original request ("purge unused layer") and now understand the "Not needed" votes.

It seems that this wish should be reconstituted to reflect James suggestions since they are quite important.

What is the best way to do this Djordje?
I just did it ... but have to add the Poll manually ... 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
jamesm wrote:
2. Merge a layer into another. When you merge data from an old project, sometimes standards have changed and you end up with two layers of nearly the same name and exactly the same function, causing confusion going forward.
Layer merge ! Can I vote 10 times for this one ?
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Matthew wrote:
I have done MANY layer conversions. They are quite tedious and filled with potential for errors. Having to turn on one layer at a time, search through the entire project for all elements on that layer and move them to the new and/or correct layer, and then having to repeat the process for all the affected layers (ALL the layers in a standards conversion process) is a very unpleasant job.
Well said. This is a royal pain in the you-know-what. Merging would be a fantastic addition to A-man.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Strongly needed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Otra herramiente relacionada que podría ser muy útil para este procedimiento es "layer walk" de autocad, que permite visualizar los elementos de cada Layer, también falta en Archicad
Eduardo Rolon
jtaa,

Por favor evita escribir en español en el forum sin poner una traducción al inglés. Es una regla que el idioma de este forum es Inglés.

"Please avoid writing in spanish without posting the translation to english. As a rule this is a English Only Forum."

___

BTW he is recommending as an option the "layer walk" feature that Autocad has, which lets you highlight which objects are in a sspecific layer.

----
You can do this already in AC by going to the 3D window, using Find and Select to pick all the objects in a Layer and then using the "Show Selection in 3D" to see them only.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Hobbesnb
Booster
Has GS (or anyone) developed a procedure to do this easily yet?
Scott Graham, AIA LEED BD+C

Principal | BIM Manager

Muhlenberg Greene Architects, Ltd.

Wyomissing, PA 19610

V6.5-26.0
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have missed this one!
Great ideas, James, I hope to see them implemented soon! Essential, of course!