Wishes forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renovation Filters and Element Status

Laura Yanoviak
Booster
ALL elements should have a Renovation Status setting -- including Markers. Otherwise, EXST/DEMO Layers and Layer Combinations are still necessary to turn Markers of new construction off in existing/demolition Views.

In addition, ALL elements should have an "Ignore Renovation Filter Overrides" setting -- for instance, it's typically undesirable to have annotation pens and linetypes overridden with those of construction elements. Because annotation can consist of objects, dimensions, and other 2D elements, this setting should be available to ALL elements.
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9, 32 GB of RAM

AC25 US (3011) AC24 on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7
21 REPLIES 21

Dennis Lee
Contributor
Since AC is a BIM solution, the renovation features shouldn't stop at the model elements, right? We have to carry the idea across to the documentation to really make full use of this new feature. I vote ESSENTIAL.

I think Laura's idea to have the "Ignore.." setting is really a good idea, since this won't have to make a new linetype class for the leader and dimension lines to differentiate them from the construction "symbol" line type.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9

Laura Yanoviak
Booster
Also see this post.

F_ Beister
Newcomer
For the renovation market is essential, that composite elements get this tag for each layer. The logical consequence is that objects can request the reno state of associated elements.

vfrontiers
Contributor
Is it just me, or does the RENOVATION status NOT get picked up with EYEDROPPER or FAVORITES?

I must be doing something wrong... Sure the status would get FAVORITIZED...

It is not a selectable trait to pass over in the Favorites Preferences either...
Duane
Visual Frontiers
AC22 6021:|: AC24 4007:|: Enscape3:|:TwinMotion
DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti

vfrontiers wrote:
Is it just me, or does the RENOVATION status NOT get picked up with EYEDROPPER or FAVORITES?
With the Eyedropper, you are correct.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC24 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | 16 gb ram • OSX10.14.6

vfrontiers
Contributor
David wrote:

With the Eyedropper, you are correct.

David
Does that mean you got it to work with FAVORITES... I got the same result with Favorites.. Set up a favorite that has DEMO status... change Reno Status to NEW and double click the Favorite and it does not change back to demo..
Duane
Visual Frontiers

vfrontiers wrote:
Does that mean you got it to work with FAVORITES...
I have not used Favorites, so I am not saying anything about them.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC24 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | 16 gb ram • OSX10.14.6

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, this seems to be a problem because other settings in the Tags and Categories panel of elements are transferred with Favorites. Structural Function, Position and Element Classification all get transferred.
This looks to me like a bug so I will report it to GS.
....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

vfrontiers
Contributor
thanks Laszlo...

It occurred to me also that the RENOVATION filter is NOT "gender specific"!... So if I have a bunch of lines, some text, some labels, a wall and objects... they can all get a SHOT OF NEW from the Renovation palette with one click of the button.
Duane
Visual Frontiers

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Is that a good thing or bad thing for you?
....................................................................................................

vfrontiers
Contributor
laszlonagy wrote:
Is that a good thing or bad thing for you?
It's a great thing as long as it NOT the thing that is preventing it from being Favoritized or Eyedroppable.
Duane
Visual Frontiers

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I see.
Let us hope this Favorite thing is a programming oversight.

Erika Epstein
Contributor
This was requested during beta.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"

Laura Yanoviak
Booster
I'm sure it was 😉

Da3dalus
Contributor
I hope someone is still looking into this. The Renovation Filter (affectionately, the ReFO) has some problems that take so much work-around, it's nearly a deal-breaker. These are issues that could be fixed with minor switches in a Hotfix.

Mainly for us, the problem is in annotation. How do I put SOLID, BLACK labels or keynotes on a Demolition Plan (required for every remodel and addition)? If they are on the Demo filter, they will become dashed, like all of the construction elements. I can find no way to override this. So, I create an A-DEMO-ANNO layer, with a Demo Plan layer combination, like we used to do, AND I still have to switch it to the Existing filter to get rid of the dash, and pin it to the Demo Plan RFO... but now it's GRAY, per the Existing overrides! OK, so I have to turn off the Existing override, and manually turn all existing elements Gray... just so the Demo annotations turn out solid black!

And now I notice that the Detail markers are showing up on the Demo Plan! Not OK! So I need to create another layer. And we're back in the pre-ReFO workflow!

This process has completely negated the usefulness of the ReFO!!!

Simply allowing each element to IGNORE OVERRIDES would be BRILLIANT!! Alternately, adding more options to the Renovation Filter settings, such as not overriding annotation elements (dimensions, labels, section markers, etc.), would do the trick. Please, something, QUICK!

Then, in the future, I'd like to see more functionality, such as:
- The ability to make composite layers, or individual object components, a different status;
- More renovation status types, preferably custom (like Future, Phase 1, Phase 2, Completed, None);
- Different overrides for each Renovation Filter (Demo items are dashed on the Demo Plan, but Gray in the Existing Plan);
- Make ReFO status pick up with Favorites and the eyedropper/syringe.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB

Stress Co_
Expert
BUMP.
Why wouldn't you vote essential?
Marc Corney, Architect

Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina)

Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB

ArchiCAD 24 (5000 USA Full)
ArchiCAD 25 (4013 USA Full)

Da3dalus
Contributor
As of ArchiCAD 17, this issue is essentially resolved. In each RenFO, you can specify NOT to override appearance for Dimensions/Texts/Labels as well as Drafting Fills/Lines. These check boxes are found in the RenFO dialog under Additional Filter Options For > Annotation Elements. It's not available as a per-element setting, but at least it effectively fixes the problem. The other wishlist items, such as phasing and composite display are still valid, but not nearly as critical. Thanks Graphisoft!
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB

Anonymous
Not applicable
Da3dalus wrote:
I hope someone is still looking into this. The Renovation Filter (affectionately, the ReFO) has some problems that take so much work-around, it's nearly a deal-breaker. These are issues that could be fixed with minor switches in a Hotfix.

Mainly for us, the problem is in annotation. How do I put SOLID, BLACK labels or keynotes on a Demolition Plan (required for every remodel and addition)? If they are on the Demo filter, they will become dashed, like all of the construction elements. I can find no way to override this....
Chuck

A solution to your previous post (which I have just re-read) is to use the "Show on current Renovation Filter only/Show on all relevant Filters" button, (or SOCRFO/SOARF for short) on the Renovation palette. As per my image below, when the button is selected (pinned) the text shows on the Existing/Demo filter ONLY, but not on the Proposed filter which has the same layer combo.

Stress Co_
Expert
I confess I hadn't noticed.
Thanks for the reply Chuck & s2art.
I'm off to RTFM.
Marc Corney, Architect

Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina)

Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB

ArchiCAD 24 (5000 USA Full)