BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Reset tool defaults

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are certain tools that I use in one mode for months, and then change to perform a specific operation, only to get 'caught out' next time I use them.

Here are some examples:

Line: Normally in 'single line' mode. Occasionally choose 'box'. Then, next time I come to draw a single line in ortho mode I wonder why it's not appearing on screen.

Circle: Normally in circle mode. Sometimes I've left it on 'arc' or 'ellipse' and consequently get unexpected behaviour.

Selection window: Normally orthographic. Sometimes left on skewed, and has me wondering, what's happened to my selection window?

Ideally, I'd like these to revert to the default ('my' default - not 'as shipped') after the operation is completed. (I appreciate not everyone would go for this option).

But, failing this, what about a simple button called 'Reset tool defaults'?
5 REPLIES 5
Eduardo Rolon
Why don't you start defining Favorites for the common settings that like? Also to switch between modes (ortho, skewed, poly) you can use the "G" shortcut.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
What's the 'G' shortcut? On my system 'G' is for 'Group'

I wouldn't have thought of using favorites. Is it possible to set up a 'favorite' for the selection method?
Eduardo Rolon
It is the one for Switch Geometry Method and No on the Favorite for selection method.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Barry Kelly
Keith wrote:
Ideally, I'd like these to revert to the default ('my' default - not 'as shipped') after the operation is completed. (I appreciate not everyone would go for this option).

But, failing this, what about a simple button called 'Reset tool defaults'?
But pressing a revert to default button would be pretty much like just picking the default yourself.
And automatically reverting to a default state could be annoying when that is not what you want it to do as you mentioned.

As Eduardo said the 'G' shortcut is the easiest but you must cycle trough all the options.
Unfortunately the favourites do not save the geometry method.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
No, I meant one button to reset all defaults. A sort of "clean up my workspace" button. "Get the tools off my workbench that I'm not using anymore."

Kind of like going to Options -> Preferences -> Tool Scheme etc. but without going through all those hoops.
Learn and get certified!