BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

!Restored: 3D Lines/Arcs/Fills

I have been asking for this since the mid-'90s. If there were a simple button to check in a 2D tool's dialog box that read "show element in 3D" and then allowed you to enter a "z" value, that would be heaven.

How many times have you simply wanted to show your building on a flat site for reference, or just wanted a representation of parking stripes, etc.. etc.. etc.

As it is now, you HAVE to model everything. I believe ArchiCAD is the only program that cannot do this simple thing.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
11 REPLIES 11
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
As it is now, you HAVE to model everything.
I thought that is the point of VB or BIM.

I am not sure about possible implications and consequences in terms of speed, quantity calculations, SEO, shadow casting etc. I think that would require a major overhaul of the internal engine which I would not see as a priority at the moment. However, I can see your point as successfully used for presentation purposes, I suppose.
::rk
Thomas Holm
Booster
A simple workaround to see 2D floor plan elements in 3D is to export as DWG and then import the DWG as an object.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Rob wrote:
I thought that is the point of VB or BIM.
True. True.

But, as you said as well, it would only be for presentation purposes. For quick studies, etc.
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Thomas wrote:
A simple workaround to see 2D floor plan elements in 3D is to export as DWG and then import the DWG as an object.
Thomas, I have tried that method before and it doesn't always work. I think it depends on the seed file of the DWG whether it is 2D or 3D. I know though that sometimes it flat out doesn't work.

Too bad because that would be acceptable as it is contained in an object which keeps the file size down, knowing how pasting 2D data from DWGs add immensely to the file data size.
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Dwight
Newcomer
While in full support of having easy 2D to 3D line work, there is a cumbersome and ridiculous workaround.

I've made some objects that will appear in the 3D window as lines.

I"m embarrassed to offer these rudimentary elements, but some may find them a bridge until the real thing comes along.

Uploaded, for what they are worth, to the Object Depository/01 General: "3D lines and circles.zip"
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight wrote:
While in full support of having easy 2D to 3D line work, there is a cumbersome and ridiculous workaround.

I've made some objects that will appear in the 3D window as lines.

I"m embarrassed to offer these rudimentary elements, but some may find them a bridge until the real thing comes along.

Uploaded, for what they are worth, to the Object Depository/01 General: "3D lines and circles.zip"
Thanks Dwight. That would help for small cases. Imagine having a site plan with thousands of lines that you want to show flat... Uuuuugh!

I've even tried selecting all the lines and dragging it into the 3D script window of a new, blank object; but still no luck. I've also tried making a giant fill hatch out of it and assigning it as a cover file to a slab, as well as the model material hatching, but it still doesn't work as needed...
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Dwight
Newcomer
I'm completely with you on this one - my lines and circles objects are for silly little tasks like marking-up 3D space, not executing site plans, and that is why I've voted "essential" on this matter.

Besides, these line objects must be carefully located vertically - they don't map on a surface as we might wish.

BTW: Welcome to the forum. Bad weather in Hawaii this weekend, or what?
I know - your surfboard is in the shop while they fix the shark bite.

As for dragging linework into a script, each segment would need to be individually scripted:

base
node 0,0,0
node 0,b,0
line 1,2

This GDL is archaic - derived from pre-Archicad 4.0 elements made for a terrain modeler - forget the name...
Dwight Atkinson
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Bit longwinded for your case, but you could apply it as a texture.

Cheers,
Link.
Link wrote:
Bit longwinded for your case, but you could apply it as a texture.

Cheers,
Link.
Hmmm, can't access your texture link... Will try later. But, I assume maybe it's the same thing as I mentioned above by applying it as a hatch to a material to show in the 3D window.
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Learn and get certified!