BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

!Restored: AN OPTION TO GIVE COMMANDS LIKE IN AUTOCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need an option to give drawing commands like "Autocad Style"
Drawing 2d in Autocad is very fast and useful. In AC it is very difficult for an old Autocad user.
When i need to draw details, generally i draw it in Autocad.

I've been using Autocad for many years. It is very difficult become addicted to AC for its command style.
If there is an option to change command style " Autocad ( or you can give an other name) Style" , i think it is easy to convert to Archicad.
15 REPLIES 15
First step to learn using Archicad for Autocad users is TO FORGET ALMOST ALL TECHNIQUES AND WORKAROUNDS USED IN AUTOCAD!!

If You do not You will not be able to use Archicad efficiently - You will be still comparing the programs and complaining.

Archicad is so different and basing on different techniques.

So good advice FORGET AUTOCAD when using ARCHICAD.

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable

it is not very important to forget Autocad. It is only a wish to improve the 2d drawing technique in AC. Every both Autocad and Archicad users knows the differences between two programs. AC has lots of advantages for architects , why it will not have more?

If there is an easy way to do something why we force us to do difficult one?
Drawing the details is such a pain in AC.
In the video tutorials of AC 10 details are importing from Autocad why? because it is easy than drawing in AC.

forget, forgot, forgotten not the solution
TomWaltz
Participant
If you move to a new country, you can insist on speaking your old language if you want to, but it may be of limited use...
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok i accepted that it is not neccesary
Anonymous
Not applicable
You might give an example of what you are trying to do and you will get some very good suggestions on how the same thing is done as quickly or quicker than how you did it in Auto-cad.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree with the Wisher. I am converting to AC10 after years of AutoCAD because it feels right and i believe it's the right direction in many aaspects. Why not do as much as opossible to make it as productive as possible. I can see AutoCAD borrowing concepts, methods and operations from AC10.

One small example to improve the productivity of AC10 with a AutoCAD-like operation would be to Select with a crossing of an element by dragging left-to-right, and only selecting entire elements by dragging right-to-left > this would cut out having to go to the toolbar to change ti selection option.

Another small time saver would be to repeat the last command by hitting the space bar. Each small time saver improvement would enhance the overall output; this is good.
Eduardo Rolon
Because everyone uses it it does not mean that it is more eficient or better. The 2D drawing procedure in AC is different to Autocad's and in my experience it is faster (there are other post discussing this). It does take a little while to "unlearn" the Autocad way but eventually everything clicks together. Commands you will use less are offset, trim and extend. As to the spacebar shortcut in AC once you have defined your shortcuts it just takes the press of a letter to repeat the command and you don't have to hit enter which offsets the pressing different keys to repeat it.

Anyway, give it a little time. Stop trying to use the same drawing steps/procedures for Autocad and ask when in doubt about how to do it in AC. Right now I am working on a project that took 3 people 1 month to draw in Autocad, it has taken me less than one week to recreate all their work.

I will not Wish for my motorcycle to behave in the same way as my car
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
46cruisair wrote:
Another small time saver would be to repeat the last command by hitting the space bar. Each small time saver improvement would enhance the overall output; this is good.
Assign the "Repeat Last Command" command to a shortcut.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
46cruisair wrote:
Assign the "Repeat Last Command" command to a shortcut.
Ctrl+B is the default.
Learn and get certified!