Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

!Restored: Door/window library parts

Jere
Expert
The library should be simplified and the objects more complex.

What I mean is this: instead of having so many different door types, such as a single wood door, a door with a sidelight, a door with two sidelights, a door with sidelight and transom, a door with transom, double doors, double doors with transom, etc, etc. there should be one library part for single doors and one for double doors. Within these library symbols should be the option for adding sidelights or transoms or multiple sidelights or multiple transoms, etc.

In essence, this one library symbol could be as simple as a single door or, by turning on different options, as complex as a storefront with multiple leafs, lights, panels, and transoms.

Same goes for the window tools.

Also, ganging between windows and doors should be better (although this may be redundant if the above tool is as flexible as I want it to be.)
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
25 REPLIES 25
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Hey -- vote for your own wish!!!
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like Door and Window Builder!
Aussie John
Newcomer
I have to vote essential to this as this is how I have scripted my custom door. Makes plan changes a lot easer.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
yep, current strategy of having zillions of d/w lib parts simply does not work + they should be treated as a sort of assemblies rather then one-off or limited parametrics pieces....
a very difficult and complex implementation, however necessary and essential considering the importance of openings as a vital building element.
::rk
Stuart Atkinson
Participant
Couldn't agree more.

I believe this has been mentioned before, but I would also chuck in that there should not be seperate door and window tools, but simply an opening tool that does all.
The amount of times that i have had to delete a door/window and replace it with the other.

Cheers
Stu
Chazz
Enthusiast
s2art wrote:
Yep. Pretty much to a tee. Three objects (a door and a window + a garage door) and millions of permutations. Be warned, the current version (3.5)does not support Interactive Schedules well. Hopefully next version.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I wish GS could buy the rights to D&W Builder and incorporate it in AC. I have never liked the windows and doors that come with the standard library.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Jere
Expert
s2art wrote:
somewhat yes. I have, and use Door and Window Builder. Even though I think GS's library parts need improvement, I like where they're going. The interface is leaps and bounds ahead of D/W Builder.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Chazz
Enthusiast
Jere wrote:
GS's library parts need improvement, I like where they're going. The interface is leaps and bounds ahead of D/W Builder.
Agreed. You can make an amazing range of openings with DWB but it sometimes involves some real pain and suffering.

One issue with both door products, (AC's and DWB), in fact ANY heavily parametric object is the tiny interface area allowed in the tools settings dialog box. It is so small that it can very hard to figure out what is going on.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current