Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Revamp and Simplify "Show on: Story" options

isaacjpu
Booster

I think this is a good example of something i've started noticing more and more in Archicad: options available vary between different tools and menus.

Make "custom stories" an option, no matter what tool i'm using. (Very confused why the options in the Stairs tool are so limited.)

Maybe I want something to display on Stories 2, 6, and 89! Let me do that, please.

7 REPLIES 7
DGSketcher
Legend

Not sure I agree with random placement e.g. stories 2, 6 and 89, but you are correct that there is a consistency issue that needs fixed in the story display settings. 

Do you have any examples where random placement would help?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
isaacjpu
Booster

Maybe on a roof / site plan with underground landscape conditions? Systems? X object may not matter to Story 3, but could be important to locate on Story 5. Y object may be important to Stories 1-6, but afterwards might not be.

The specificity of examples i come up with right now isn't the point: my point is, why not? This tool is about enabling us to communicate. I don't see the value in limiting our options.

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

There are things I model with certain tools only because of this option. So yes, it would be nice to sometimes be able to override the floor plan projection settings, as is possible with roof / shell / slab (?).

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

The roof on a site plan is a common feature, but I would manage those kind of situations with trace references during the drawing process and with stacked views on a layout sheet for output.  

It isn't my decision what GS do with wishes and your opinion is as valid as mine, I just get frustrated with some of the chaotic thinking present in AC. Limiting options coupled with an effective workflow is better than too many options which slows down the workflow having to chase and adjust settings & the associated processing time.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Stacked views is an interesting workaround, but a workaround nonetheless.

In this case, i've wasted a lot of time "having to chase and adjust settings" because Archicad is inconsistent with story display options.

I'm still pretty new to figuring out stories as a whole though: having learned Revit first, i have a tendency to make more than i probably should. (?)

For example, i'm still not sure if i should have a story for T.O.P. : Plate heights can change pretty late in the game ("oh no, lumber got really expensive! let's use standard stud lengths for all the walls" or "we've updated the bulk plane since SD and your house is too tall" or "structural changed the rafters from 2x10 to 2x12") and having a story for T.O.P. is a much more flexible, parametric, BIM, etc. solution than "all my ceilings are at 8' A.F.F.;" but displaying elements appropriately in drawings becomes difficult with the extra story. (RCPs!) So, i don't know if i should save the time up front and have a less flexible model with fewer stories, or future-proof the 3D model but struggle with 2D layouts.

In this case, i think expanding the options available for story display would largely alleviate the issue.

Regardless of what options Archicad should have, it is inconsistent as it is now.

Benjamin Dani
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear All,

Thank you for your ideas and opinions regarding this topic!

I'm happy to say that we have added this wish into our Wish list database under WISH-12582.

I hope we see this get implemented in the future.

Have a wonderful day!

Kind regards,

Dani Benjamin
Technical Support Engineer

Nice! Thanks for taking notice, @Benjamin Dani 

I had to change the top of plate height in a project just yesterday and was thinking about this issue. I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing things like this, but i do think Revit has a better way of approaching Stories. (Autodesk calls them "levels.")

Beyond more flexibility with 2D representation, Revit can also set boundaries for levels in the XY plane: multistory buildings are no longer an issue, and workflows like this become obsolete. Just food for thought; Archicad certainly performs other things better than Revit.