Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Revamp wall tool

jc4d
Expert
Hi all,

Would it be possible to revamp how the wall works in archicad?. Currently each wall behave as independent object with no correlation with each other, leading to a much more slow designing/ drawing process.

In the current workflow if there are e.g. two walls connected in L shape and one of those is moved the another one is not following keeping the connection alive, this leads to extra steps that are redundant and unnecessary to accomplish one simple task. Therefore, having a setting where the end user wants to keep the connection alive will boost the workflow by releasing the user for calling so many commands to keep the walls connected.

I'm aware that AC has the marquee tool but this affects all the elements that are inside the marquee area which is not what the user is looking after. Naturally, the walls layers can be isolated and then use the marquee tool but this creates again unnecessary step for such a simple task.

Cheers,
Juan
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you select connected Walls before moving the Wall, then ARCHICAD will treat consecutive Wall Reference Lines as a Polyline and you can edit it as a Polyline. If you then offset the Wall using Pet Palette commands, the connected Wall will also adjust in length.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
To add to what Laszlo already pointed out, any edges that overlap can be moved with a single offset. So if slab would also be touching that edge of the wall, you can offset that along with the walls. This can even work over multiple stories (group elements in 3D, select group, supend groups and make the offset).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
jc4d
Expert
LaszloNagy wrote:
If you select connected Walls before moving the Wall, then ARCHICAD will treat consecutive Wall Reference Lines as a Polyline and you can edit it as a Polyline. If you then offset the Wall using Pet Palette commands, the connected Wall will also adjust in length.
Thank you for the tip, I just tried it and it works but it seems this is not possible for a T junction type.
Lingwisyer
Guru
It is possible to do a T-Junctions using the marquee tool then using Adjust(?) (ctrl + h). You just have to be careful in what falls within your marquee, especially if you are using the "all floor" marquee as any node within the marquee will be moved.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
jc4d
Expert
Yes I'm aware of the marquee tool, and that's my point of my wish, to move and/ or offset a wall the must-have to use different ways to accomplish a simple task, walls should be walls.

if is a L-junction the user have to select all the connected walls and offset and if is a T-junction then is marquee tool, so it is not the proper workflow. I have been an VectorWorks user for more than 15 years and now the company I work for uses archicad and I see how all the designers spend valuable time just readjusting and rejoining walls after an offset which translates into waste or productivity time.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You can just use Adjust (CTRL -). Select the wall to extend, click Adjust, select the edge where you want to adjust to.

The Edit Elements toolbar is very handy to have active for Adjust, Intersect, Fillet etc, all the basic 2D linework commands work for walls, beams and other elements I might forget which have a reference line.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
jc4d
Expert
Thanks for the tip, and yes this is the current work, but as you noticed in your description, you need many different clicks and key strokes to accomplish this simple task. Therefore, this is the bottom line of my wish, reduce the amount of clicks and key strokes for such simple task like moving a wall and keep the connected ones connected.
Because if we can at least somehow unify the workflow of moving walls is like no matter how the walls junction are, T, L, or Y, we select the connected walls and perform an offset then in a way is ok workflow, but to experiment different workflow to accomplish the same task is not ideal.