Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Ribbon User Interface

HOA NGUYEN
Contributor
Hi Guy,
I see some softwares same as Revit, Tekla, Bentley now change to Ribbon Interface.
I hope Archicad will improve UI to Ribbon to ease and moderm to working
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Eduardo Rolon
Completely disagree.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Podolsky
Ace
Who first introduced Ribbon interface? I think principle was initially designed by Apple and modified by Microsoft is their office about 10 years ago.
It's very handy interface, if it's done clever. Especially it works well for touchscreens. ArchiCAD is a little bit behind - and super comfortable for touchscreen with pen. They could introduce several modes of interface (as Blender does) where user can choose an interface he likes.
Another lack of good object oriented programming.
jl_lt
Ace
Personally i hate Ribbon with a passion. The only place i have seen it work nicely is, ironically, in Revit.
Podolsky
Ace
I'm working now only with touchscreen and pen. I think Ribbon interface would give some additional speed on tablet, because keyboard shortcuts is not a good solution anymore for tablet. For shortcuts I need to open virtual keyboard and it's not as quick as on real keyboard.
runxel
Legend
jl_lt wrote:
Personally i hate Ribbon with a passion. The only place i have seen it work nicely is, ironically, in Revit.
Nah, even there it's not good.
Tbh in the office products it actually fits, but jeez, the ribbon is mostly a bad thing.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
jl_lt
Ace
yes. nicely compared to other Ribbons i need to add, but still not convenient enough
Podolsky
Ace
Whatever it is ribbon or not ribbon - better interface required to support touchscreen and pen.
jl_lt
Ace
what advantages does touch screen and pen have over mouse? to show the model to clients sounds great. to do heavy work sounds quite unconfortable
Podolsky
Ace
Because mouse use is developing 'tunnel syndrome' in your arm. Mouse is not good exercise for your muscles.
Pen also more natural way to enter information (if you not prefer to be cyborg).
Actually mouse was created by Xerox designers - directors didn't like it, so the concept was presented to Steve Jobs from Apple. Since there many things have changed in technology. First I discovered that working with touchpad is more comfortable for me. But with the pen - I don't want to use anything else.
Maybe because I was trained since 6 years old in art schools to be professional artist, but when I hold the pen - I feel in more control of what I'm doing.