Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Right Angle Triangle Window

JaredBanks
Mentor

How is it possible that in 2022 / Archicad 26 there is still not an out of the box right angle window? The Triangle Fixed window [Moderator: in the USA library] can not have a vertical side. This is super annoying. The only way to achieve this basic window shape (without paying for a 3rd party window like Cadimage) is to use the ancient FreeFormWindow, which is missing tons of features and is surely going to stop working at some point. Can whoever is in charge of the libraries, just spend like 5 minutes and get us this window?Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 9.45.53 AM.png

Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
16 REPLIES 16
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Is this some sort of imperial problem I'm too metric to understand? You can even over shoot the 90° mark in the Dutch library.

I've been 'taught' that the glass in that window will break though... Maybe I've been taught wrong? Should always have a couple of centimeters of vertical glass before sloping up, to avoid cracks due to stress on the glass?

Does the US library have "proper" vertical sliding windows where the top window is much smaller than the bottom one? Or is this a Dutch problem the rest of the world is too international to understand?

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Solution

WallholeCut.gsm is fixed in the USA library as well.

They are restricting 'tec' (the length parameter for peak distance from center) with a VALUES RANGE in the macro gs_general_sw_macro_USA. If you change that statement's parens to brackets (i.e., <= instead of <), you can make the angle 90º but you will get more divide by zero in gs_general_sw_macro_USA, starting here, but I bet there are more exceptions needed a few lines later:

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 11.37.32 AM.png

Fix those exceptions, save the macro with a modified name, change the macro call in the Window proper to that name. Save-as the window as well.

Way out of scope for an end user, IMO. I agree that it's about 5 minutes of work for GS.

It's a few more minutes to provide a checkbox for 'Right Triangle'. 🤗

James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Solution

This is a saved-as copy of the window, with the macros worked thru as far as needed (window & trim), and the 'angle' locked to 90º. 

James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info

Someone at Graphisoft needs to replicate James' work for Archicad 27 USA Library and someone else needs to update his rank from Mentor to Hero. Thank you @James Murray.

Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome

Hi Erwin,

No... Nothing to do with the glass.

My dad was a glazier, i saw him do lead lighting, etching, stained glass, etc.

He was an old school glazier trained in the 1940's

I have seen glass do some amazing stuff.

Maybe its poorly designed frames from who ever makes them in your area, but the glass can be cut to almost any shape you like and last forever without breaking as long as something sharp does not scratch the surface.

All glass is always under stress/tension, that is the basic property of the material.

I think that whoever taught you was just trying to take the safe path to make sure that you produced designs that were easy to create, so you would not encounter supplier problems.

p.s.

if the peak of the triangle window does go past the left/Right edge, is it not a simple triangle but just rotated in the installation?

AllanP_0-1668722886633.png

the window manufacturer may just not have enough of that sort of window ordered for it to be designed and certified to current standards as a standard option in the book.

a "no, we don't do that normally, it will be expensive to do, are you willing to pay"...

if you are really adventurous, you can even do curved curtain walls to your apartment towers (those are full height curved glass panels, but we couldn't get curved alucobond panels.)

AllanP_1-1668723507104.png

I have been using ArchiCAD continually since ArchiCAD 4.5, 4.5.5, 5, 5.1, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 8.1, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18, 21, 22, 25, now testing 27
Member of Architalk since 2003, but missed the migration to Graphisoft.
(where have all my original posts gone?)

@Nathan Hildebrandt wrote:

Maybe it is an imperial thing. I just checked in the INT version and I can get a right-angle triangle window from that exact object. 

[Edit: Sorry this post is late to the party... this 'lovely' forum software did not feed me the earlier posts that already figured this out...]

Looks like they modified the USA library version to disallow what you accomplished in INT.  I switched to mm for working units and here's what happens when I enter 500 for the vertex shift amount with the USA library part.   Typing 500 gives me 490mm.  I can manually enter 499mm which at least gets vanishingly close... but not the same behavior you see, Nathan.

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 7.18.43 PM.jpg

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Jared, There is a "Triangle Window" that can be downloaded/embedded that does allow a right triangle.  Enter "Triangle" in the Window Settings search box to find it.   It has the old style UI so who knows how old this is, but it does allow the vertex to be moved arbitrarily - even past vertical to create a skewed triangle:

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 7.26.34 PM.jpg

The real complaint now is to Graphisoft North America who, for some reason, crippled the window delivered in the USA library.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB