cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wishes forum

Roof Pivot Orientation

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I wish the Roof Pivot direction could be obtained and used in GDL. I currently have a LABEL that reads the roof slope and displays and pitch arrow, but there is no parameter to tell it to rotate to be perpendicular the pivot line.

I don't expect many votes here, but would be handy. (I'd actually give the object away if GS could update the GDL spec)
Duane
Visual Frontiers
AC22 6021:|: AC24 4007:|: Enscape3:|:TwinMotion
DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti
16 REPLIES 16

TomWaltz
Newcomer
You're right, that is an annoying limitation. I wrote a label to pick up slope, but it still has to be rotated to face the right way.
Tom Waltz

Erika Epstein
Booster
I have one that is a roof accessory that automatically aligns with the slope. I got it here on architalk several years ago.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Erika wrote:
I have one that is a roof accessory that automatically aligns with the slope. I got it here on architalk several years ago.
Right technology; not so good looking part. I am working to upgrade the graphics and add some features... I'll try and post back here.

Thanks Erika!

Duane
Duane
Visual Frontiers
AC22 6021:|: AC24 4007:|: Enscape3:|:TwinMotion
DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti

Erika Epstein
Booster
Looking forward to the new and improved version!
Thanks Duane
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"

RandyC
Enthusiast
Bringing this old thread back , I have made a label that changes between plan view and elevation view - gives roof pitch in degrees & slope etc.

Uses Arrow in plan to mark direction of slope and no arrow in elevation view

I made a "flip" parameter in Elevation because I cannot find a way to sense
the direction of the roof has anyone ever discovered a way ?
label attatched.
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 25 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9

Aaron Bourgoin
Advisor
Thanks Randy!

I hadn't gone looking for roof anatomy after discovering that roof element edges were given proper names and that these names were definable.

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-18-int-reference-guide/views-of-the-virtual-buildin...

proper roof nomenclature is essential for use with tools like Cadimage coverings.
Think Like a Spec Writer

AC24-7006 / USA AC25-5010 USA

Rhino 7 Mac

MacOS 11.6.5

RandyC
Enthusiast
Thanks Aaron - I checked out all of the shellbase_ commands
but none of them give direction or angle so cannot figure how they can help.
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 25 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Randy, that symbol is great but could you make it work for us metric users please.

RandyC
Enthusiast
there is a switch that allows it to display degrees instead of slope , did you have another way that you want it displayed ? Not sure what you do in your country.

Randy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi randy, yes I can switch to decimal degrees, but the area displays in imperial inches only

RandyC
Enthusiast
Label with switch for metric - imperial
Randy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Randy
Thanks,
I really appreciate it, I know I will be using it on most jobs!

Steve Jepson
Advisor
The problem for me is that it's a label.

I like what it does but I am already using labels to display roof ID. I want to match up the roof surface in the roof plan with the roof ID in the schedules which also shows area, length of hips, ridge, valley, etc...

Is there another way to show a roof ID than with a label?
2015-03-14_10-03-29.png

ArchiCAD 25 5010 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
RandyC wrote:
there is a switch that allows it to display degrees instead of slope , did you have another way that you want it displayed ? Not sure what you do in your country.

Randy
Hi, is there any way to display slope in percentage values?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Looking forward to the new and improved version!
Thanks Duane
Hi Erika,

Just wondering how to associate this object with the roof slope...what is your method?
Thanks

vdentello
Booster
I've tried to solve this issue a while ago, without success.

The trouble is that the parameter that reads the roof orientation line is only accessible with "Roof Acessories", it adds a custom parameter that is called "ac_ref_coords", which consists in a matrix that reads x0, y0, x1 and y1, through wich is possible to define the angle.

The problem is that this is not a standard, that way it cannot be found in a standard tag and rotated, i could add this as an acessory, but, that would only allow me to add 1 object at a single floor, which wouldn't help much.

To show percentage is about using the result of "tan (ROOF_ANGLE)*100".
Archicad User Since 2013
GDL Developer
Experimenting with API
from Brazil

Start a new conversation!

Labels

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!