Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Roof Tool Negative Pitch - for Drainage Plan Floors

jensth
Participant

Hello!

If it would be possible to use the roof tool with a negative pitch, modelling floor elements for drainage plans would be so easy. 

jensth_0-1631786243028.png

jensth_1-1631786296878.png

Thank you:)

19 REPLIES 19

@Miha_M Although you can design this with the mesh tool, there does not need to be a unique approach to design something. @jensth and @jens thommesen proposed a negative pitch to a roof. I find this very usefool. This is the "wishes" forum, not a "tell me a workaround" forum.

You cannot build a line.

I know you don't want work-arounds, but it can be done with a multi-plane roof with a little bit of effort.

BarryKelly_0-1656485860391.png

It isn't 100% perfect, but the closer you get the pivot lines to each other, the better.

I would still just use a multi-plane roof, cut a hole in the middle, convert to single planes and change the pitch to a negative value.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I tried this. In fact, I did not know I could do this when I clicked the baseline. Thanks @Barry Kelly ! It is a nice workaround.

As you said, it's not perfect. There is this small gap between baselines (bottom image). Until AC introduces a a negative-pitch-roof, I will use this. The wish still remains.

roof-negative-pitch.jpg

You cannot build a line.

Essentially you have a ridge with two roof pitches running around the outside.

The closer you get the two pivot lines, the the less noticeable this ridge will be.

But looking at it some more, you can bring up the pet palette on the outer pivot line and turn it into a gable.

You must do this for each plane separately, as clicked level and all planes does not work - makes a gable on the other side of the ridge as well.

BarryKelly_1-1656489451482.png

BarryKelly_0-1656489433759.png

It looks like there is a small gap as shown here, but there isn't.

That is the pivot line still at the lower level - the height of the pivot line will not change.

So depending on how close you get the inside and outside pivot lines,

and how accurate you want to be, you might need to adjust the height of your roof.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Well, everyday we learn something! Thanks @Barry Kelly !

You cannot build a line.

Well, I'm interested in a new approach to element creation and representation that actually takes advantage of all already implemented functionalities. Yes, we can already model anything with anything - but not really.

I would look at the beam tool (as most cases) with custom profiles - quite powerful and versatile for these kind om geometries. Just need better modifiers and control over the 2D representation...  

thesleepofreason_1-1656492710341.png

Lingwisyer
Guru

Regarding drainage, how often is the area square? If it is not square, you are essentially back to single plane roofs if you are to stick to the roof tool?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

You can do pretty much any shape you want I guess.

Use parallel offset and magic wand to duplicate the pivot line.

You can manipulate the centre hole to be any shape/size you want as well.

BarryKelly_0-1656494771160.png

You can manipulate all of the nodes just like you would any other multi-plane roof.

BarryKelly_1-1656494990577.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Seems like a few "mesh" tool functionality to Slabs and a variable thickness to Composites would best the best of all worlds.

Define a composite like normal, but with an added slope feature:

Skin Slope (variable thickness): Follow Bottom Face, Follow Top Face, Level

Then allow mesh type modification to slab edges, holes, etc.

Could use this for sloping slabs, shower pans, roofs. In a roof the variable thickness sloping material would be insulation layer, in a shower pan it might be a mortar bed, etc.

jensthommesen_0-1656424378482.png

The areas are sometimes composed of smaller square fields. However customizable shapes with specific sloping towards the drain would be preferred. The drains arent always square either, so being able to change that as well would be great.