BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Roofs: Ability to set 2D Options

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish roofs could have more 2D options. Particularly, I would like the ability for roof intersections to disappear when desired. Additionally I would like to control which edges and which portions of them are visible (even on other than Home Story).

Here's my goal: Since I work on residential projects, I would like to be able to place a roof once, then modify the 2D symbol so that it appears correctly on Site Plans, Floor Plans, Reflected Ceiling Plans, Roof Plans, and Framing Plans. I generally set up the stories on my projects: BASEMENT, MAIN, UPPER, ROOF. Depending on the project, I do site plans on the roof story or on the main floor plan. Either scenario, I need the ability to control the way the roof shows up in plan (i.e. hide edge y/n, linetype, pen).

Perhaps the Model Views would be the place to control "Roof Edge Display Options". A pet palette control would allow you to select and modify roof edge display.
5 REPLIES 5
An interesting idea, but it sounds like more work than just copying the roof off to the side, exploding into 2D lines and changing their layer, then moving lines back to where they should be.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
__archiben
Booster
Richard wrote:
An interesting idea, but it sounds like more work than just copying the roof off to the side, exploding into 2D lines and changing their layer, then moving lines back to where they should be.
as long as you don't forget to modify them when the roof changes. or worse: your team-mate who believes in the VB principle changes the roof neglecting to think that there could possibly 2D lines of the very same lying around on the layouts!

once again i'm blowing cadimage's trumpet: it's not about graphical representation, but they allow a system for editing the edges of polygonal cladding elements like this. the 2D symbol is taken from the model view, but not unfortunately to the degree of flexibility that B Hruska is requiring . . . the makings of a system for this are there is all . . .

~/archiben
editEdges.jpg
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
One other tricky area related is how elements look in different views. If we use the roof example we would want it a certain way in the roof plan, but might also want to control the same roof differently in a reflected ceiling plan. Perhaps views can start to control aspects of the 2d view such the a given element can realy be controled how we need it. Stacking order is a clasic one where we can mask one roof with another, but that reverses in our reflected ceiling plan.
TomWaltz
Participant
~/archiben wrote:
once again i'm blowing cadimage's trumpet
Are they buying you beer after work or something?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I to would like to have control of the 2d plan view of edges on roofs & slabs, so that we do not need to do seperate 2d drafting & 3d modeling.
Learn and get certified!