BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Rotation in Object Preview Window To Be Used For Preview Only

jakubc7
Advocate
This is by no means an important "wish" but something that has bugged me for a while.

When editing an object in the OPTIONS menu, we have the preview window that we can view the object in plan / elevation / 3D. I have never used this window to rotate my object in the project, however I do use it regularly to rotate the object and inspect the changes I am making to it while in this menu.

The issue is that rotating the object in this window edits the orientation in the actual project. I would be curious if anyone ever uses this view to rotate the object?

My wish is to allow users to rotate the object in the preview window - or even better ... to orbit 360° but not affect it in the project. I rotate my objects from within the project
ArchiCAD 10 - 25 | Windows 10
ARCHIcreate | Perth, Western Australia
archicad solutions | content creation | training | software implementation
7 REPLIES 7
Hello jakubc7,

I clic on the 3D preview to make it turn without changing its 3D orientation into the parameter window.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Jp1138
Expert
It would be nice to be able to zoom, pan an rotate in that preview window. Many times you cannot see what you are doing when changing parameters without exiting the properties windows to look in the project view itself, see you have done something wrong, reenter the properties windows, try again and so on
ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
DGSketcher
Legend
There are too many times I have wanted to just look at the front of a cabinet / drawers while I adjust settings and then find the object rotation changed when returning to the model. The preview arrangement isn't user friendly, I agree it should be isolated from the object placement.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly
I would be happy that the plan preview actually rotates the placed object (as it does now), but the 3D preview should not.
Or give us a true preview window that we can rotate in any direction and also zoom in.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
jakubc7
Advocate
I agree Barry. I have no issue with floor plan preview still having the affect on the object within the project. Especially since you can also define the origin point in the same view.

Glad to see others agree with me on this. The more I think about it the more I realise how helpful orbit option would be.

DGSketcher - editing cabinetry is the exact reason why this became frustrating for me.
As a work around I remember what angle the object is at originally and return it to that before I finish editing ... although it's easy to forget the angle or to actually do it
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

I hope you are doing well in these trying times!

Thank you very much for sharing your wish!

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it into our WishList database (please refer to it as Wish #12715). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

jakubc7
Advocate
Thanks for the feedback Minh. That's great news, I really hope to see it incorporated into the next AC version.
Learn and get certified!