Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

SLAB to ROOF converter Please!

Anonymous
Not applicable
SLAB to ROOF converter Please! This would help a lot. The same way you have mesh to roof
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Can you give some explanation of why and when this would be useful or beneficial?
I mean, a Slab is always horizontal.
Mesh to Roof conversion is different because it converts a non-flat geometry to another non-flat geometry.
But to convert a Slab to a Roof? If you know the Slab will not serve the purpose, why not model it using a Roof in the first place.

Or, you can use the Magic Wand to create a Roof geometry based on the Slab's geometry.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Can you give some explanation of why and when this would be useful or beneficial?
I mean, a Slab is always horizontal.
Mesh to Roof conversion is different because it converts a non-flat geometry to another non-flat geometry.
But to convert a Slab to a Roof? If you know the Slab will not serve the purpose, why not model it using a Roof in the first place.

Or, you can use the Magic Wand to create a Roof geometry based on the Slab's geometry.
I have just completed drawings for a house where there are external balconies which actually have a fall. They were initially modelled with the slab tool, and having a slab-to-roof conversion tool would have been handy. If a mesh with potentially hundreds of sloping surfaces (or more) can be converted to roofs, why not a slab with one top surface? You'd just have to assign a pivot line and maybe a slope.
DGSketcher
Legend
Or GS could just merge the slab & roof into one tool...
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
DGSketcher wrote:
Or GS could just merge the slab & roof into one tool...
Hey now your thinkin !!
I have never been sure why we needed 2 tools for basically the same function.
I often end up using the roof tool for slabs anyway as I can join up zero slope and other slope elements. For e.g. in a vaulted ceiling.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
some slabs are flat on to and bottom. but more slabs have one or more sloping surfaces.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1