Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Save as LIGHT, pleeeeease!

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
For the love of all things good in this world, please add SAVE SELECTION AS LIGHT so I don't have to...
1. Save as object
2. Open object
3. Change subtype
4. Save object

For that matter, why not allow us APPLY A SUBTYPE whilst creating the object in the first place!..

Ok... back to work now...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
6 REPLIES 6
Hello vfrontiers,

Why not !
I do not use light as soon as I should but it's probably a good idea.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Stuart Smith
Booster
Essential, since the light fixture library parts included in US Archicad Library are a complete joke.
v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted to express their opinion.

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it into our WishList database (please refer to it in the future as Wish #12637). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Is it also possible to make them "hostable" by walls or slabs?

By which I mean, if you save an object as a light, it should be possible when using that light to allow it to be hosted by a slab or a wall in much the same way that windows and doors are hosted by walls.

So for a slab, like when you have pot lights or recessed ceiling lights, they attach to the selected slab and remain parametrically hosted by it, it allows you to select which side of the slab the light is referenced to (whether it's a ceiling light or a floor lamp/light) and when the slab is changed positionally, (like if your slabs are referenced to the Floor height level and you change your storey heights and the slabs adjust accordingly. As it stands now you have to go floor by floor and re-adjust all the lights. to the correct level along with any boolean operators in the case of recessed lights. Not the worst thing in the world to have to do, but a pain in the a*s when you have a lot of floors)

I've never understood why even the standard library lights (particularly ceiling-based lamps and lights which would otherwise make no sense just hanging in mid-air) don't have this function and capability as native.

Same deal with walls. You have walls hosting the type of lights which can be hosted by walls and which would only be relevant to the wall and when you change the wall position, the light goes along with it.

Seems like a no-brainer to me (that should have existed all along) and if not, why not implement the capability then for custom-made lights.

(*P.S. the Hosting function would also naturally include the necessary boolean capability ala "WALLHOLE" for custom-made windows, to make sure the light cuts the slab or wall correctly and makes the required opening that's likewise parametric to the light's shape and position.

Also, a function or parameter to allow the light to use an IES file information would be nice, but I would settle for everything else, before this)
Stuart Smith
Booster
Bricklyne wrote:
Is it also possible to make them "hostable" by walls or slabs?...
This would save so much time going we currently spend going thru the model through and correcting the heights of light fixtures. And having recessed lights cut a hole in their 'host' slab would make things more accurate, since now if we want recessed fixtures to show up correctly in renderings, they need to be placed just slightly below the ceiling, which never looks quite right. We don't use SEOs for lights in the ceilings because on large commercial and academic buildings, there are way too many lights and it bogs down performance.
v26 3010 USA
MacOS 12.6
AC user since 8.1
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I am all for the LIGHTS cutting holes in slabs! I, too, spend some time SEO ing my way around the Ceiling Plan..

Always get to rendering before I notice I missed a few...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop