Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Scalable fills

Jere
Expert
In autoCAD, for example, you can easily change the look of a fill by entering it's scale factor. This would be a great feature for ArchiCAD.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is available in AC too if you open the Fill Types!
BUT , in AC, fills can set to scale musch easier!
Jere
Expert
I disagree, but I should be more clear. I enjoy AC's current fills and scalability, but there's not enough option. For example, I can't use the same fill at different scale factors within the same drawing.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
TomWaltz
Participant
You're right, Jere.

The scale should be able to be edited visually while having a numerical value to it as well, especially since you should be able to eye-dropper/inject the scale from one fill into another.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
So how come I'm the only one who has voted in the affirmative so far? You can vote on your own poll, Jere.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I hate scale factor! This is one of the reasons I migrated from AutoCAD, because everything in this application is controlled by scale factors! This is the most inconvenient way to change anything!

I love the way Ac handles this, for example with Fills: When I want to use the same fill pattern with different size, I duplicate it, and give it a new name, like Tiles 25/25, Tiles 30/30, Tiles 30/60, etc. This way I know which fill I am using at the moment and do not have to remember its scale factor!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I may well be wrong but you can currently adjust a fill visually if you change the settings to 'use Distorted Fill' this then enables you to manipulate the scale of the fill you are using, among other things.

Ok it does not allow for accurate changes (although it was not hard to double the size it would be difficult to adjust by say 1/5) as the handles allow you to basically stretch the fill in both directions. See manual pp 213-214

If the handles were divisible by the special snap points them you would have full control IMHO
kevin b
Contributor
But is there any way to copy the distortion from one instance of the fill to another. For example I get a distorted fill all nice and pretty graphically and then I want to use the same settings somewhere else, but there does not seem to be an easy, accurate way to do this.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
kevin wrote:
But is there any way to copy the distortion from one instance of the fill to another. For example I get a distorted fill all nice and pretty graphically and then I want to use the same settings somewhere else, but there does not seem to be an easy, accurate way to do this.
Ummm.. you can draw your distorted handles EXACTLY on top of the original fill (the one you made all nice and pretty). The fill origin does not have to be within the fill...

You could also move the fill origin back inside the 2nd fill and the distortion will remain.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
kevin b
Contributor
SO that would make far to much sense, I'm looking for a convoluted workaround.

Is that a forest over there? I can't tell with all these trees in the way.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram