Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Scale Sensitivity in Complex Profiles

Anonymous
Not applicable
When a curve is used in a fill that forms a complex profile, ArchiCAD automatically converts this into multiple straight segments to minimise the polycount. For larger forms this is not too noticeable, but on smaller forms viewed at larger scales this becomes very apparent.

To create an accurate detail displaying of one of these forms, you will have to redraw the curved elements manually using 2d linework.

To reduce the amount of manual redrawing GS should introduce some sort of scale sensitivity to complex profiles to help avoid this extra work.

Refer to page 3 onwards in this thread here, and here for examples.
3 REPLIES 3
Peter wrote:
To create an accurate detail displaying of one of these forms, you will have to redraw the curved elements manually using 2d linework...
To redraw the curved elements manually is not working for me. It makes no difference. As soon as the fill is converted into a complex profile it becomes segmented. The key to a smooth curve is apparently dependent on the optimal choice of Magic Wand settings. What is optimal for a spline is not the same as what it optimal for an arc. There are probably some other variables as well. Also there is the matter of what makes the smoothest curves when creating an object vs. when using the Profile tool vs. making a Complex Profile.

My wish is that everything would always be as smooth as is possible. I don't care about the poly count. What I care about is SMOOTH.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
Peter wrote:
To create an accurate detail displaying of one of these forms, you will have to redraw the curved elements manually using 2d linework...
To redraw the curved elements manually is not working for me. It makes no difference....
No, I mean redrawing the curved lines in a detail/worksheet window; after you have extracted them from the model-based section.
OK I get it. I thought you were talking about redrawing/reshaping the fills after you have captured a profile and making it have only arc curves and no splines curves which will get you a smoother curve.

If you need to redraw it after you make it there is very little point in using the Complex Profiler is there.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25