BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Schedules and 2D library parts

gdford
Advisor
Many, if not all, of the 2D library parts have the ability to have classifications and custom properties assigned to them, such a joist hangers. These items when placed in plan view will schedule. This is really nice. It would make sense to me that these items, many of which are actually never placed in plan, but are used to dress up sections should also schedule as well when they are placed in sections and elevations
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
The problem is, in sections you will only be placing the objects you can see.
Not the ones hidden behind or are in front of the section or maybe not seen because the limits are cropping the section.

Or you may have 2 sections or elevations that basically show the same thing.
Anything objects placed in these will schedule twice (because you have to show them in each section) when in fact it should just be once.

Whereas modelling in plan (or 3D) you are placing all of the objects you want to be counted.
And as it modeled in 3D, it will appear correctly in your sections (if they are 3D objects - but they will still count correctly if only 2D).

This is why schedules only count what is placed in plan (and hence the 3D model).
And why there is only one plan 'view point' (yes you can save many plan 'views', but there is still only one plan 'view point' for each storey).
Whereas you can have as many elevation/section view points as you want and they can all show the same part of the model.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
gdford
Advisor
Not all scheduling is about tracking quantities. The best aspect of scheduling is validating data and also to provide a way to maintain project data. When i talk about data in this context I typically mean data that will become a note pointing to something in the model. Unfortunately not every project provides us with the luxury of modeling every single item in the project that will need a label. Since archicad has not provided an out of the box solution to deal with maintaining project notes for items that have not been modeled, then we are faced with either using dumb labels or to place a hidden object (a data object) that can maintain continuity been labels placed across the breadth of the project. The biggest problem with this hack is the data link breaks down if you place the data object from inside the section or elevation. ... If you schedule the data objects so that their data can be updated, the objects placed in Section and Elevation dont schedule .... so there you are with dumb labels in section and elevation for things that need notes, but have not been modeled... Of course the work around is using a 3d object placed in plan that will show up in section and elevation, but it would be so much nicer if there was at least one object that could be placed in section and elevation that would schedule, but no show up in plan or 3d so not to junk up the model with hidden 3D data objects...
This is where i was going with what i was talking about.
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Learn and get certified!