BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Section/Elev/Detail - Show Source View as Reference (option)

Anonymous
Not applicable
One burning issue we have in our firm is how to "appropriately" set a technique for the 2D work needed for detailing a wall section, detail, etc. Right now we have a couple methods that require it to be drawn up on the side of the actual model being cut through (so that the rebuild changes do not overlap our 2D work or that actual 3D elements do not get accidentally deleted in order to clear up a detail).

This brings up my wish for a view option to show the elements as a reference the same way a trace reference works. We currently trace reference the section view, drag it over to the side for our 2D detailing and we want our 2D work to remain in the same window so that the marker will be linked properly.

I believe Revit has an option to shower their sections as a background in order to be used as some kind of guide and allow 2D components to be placed accordingly. If the AC markers have that view option, then we can easily have some markers function as its true generic 3D representation and other markers for more 2D detail and clarification without having to create independent views or draw it on the side.

I am also all ears for a work-around that works. I have tried several ways to achieve having the marker remaining linked to its appropriate view without duplicating it in order to create as a trace reference.
5 REPLIES 5
Erika Epstein
Booster
A variation of what you are doing might simplify your process.

Set your section marker to drawing. Open the section qwindow. With grouping enabled, drag a COPY of the elements to the right*.
These COPIED elements will not be affected by rebuilding this window. As the building changes, update the windows, and drag copies of ONLY WHAT HAS CHANGED.

You can at any time change the section/elevation window back to live or manual update without any effect on the model.

HTH

*Your office standard should dictate to the right, left, up or down. Similarly the drag distance should be in set intervals, 5' or muliples thereof for details, multiples of 25' or 100' for other types of drawings. This way anyone working on any drawing will know the correct drag distance.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your response, Erika. That is currently the technique we are telling our newer users to do when it comes to 2D detailing where needed and it's good to know we are practicing the same method as someone at your level. The other method some users here are doing (and feel free to comment) is setting the same section view as a trace reference, then dragging it over to the side to the area of 2D work.

That is what led me to the wish, if we could have a view option to set our sections to show as a reference, there may no longer be a need to drag copies to the side. It will allow for users to accept the model section as it is or to be viewed as a reference for 2D detailing to be shown.

I will admit this wish is not essential and barely important, but I believe it will be a very useful addition to those users who prefer 2D detailing.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
If I’m reading you correctly, I like this wish a lot. I think the proper verbiage would be “Show Source View as Reference“ and would be available for S/Es set to Drawing, Details, Worksheets.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Erika Epstein
Booster
In the meantime You can have the layout with a view of the live wall section placed on it show as trace reference.
It means setting up a layout that won't be part of the print set, but a working tool.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff - thanks for the comment, I think it made more sense that way so title has been changed.

Erika - I'm trying to figure out how the working layout sheet will come into play. I think no matter what, we will prefer the detail work to be done in it's associated marker view. Currently, it will be detailed to the right of the cut elements. If I get my wish , and the cut elements source view appear in a form of a reference, the detail work will be done in it's true place instead of over on the side.

To all readers - here is perhaps a potential advantage - suppose we have a long wall section and some areas are vague due to the modeling elements, a user can set the source view to a reference, blur it down, then place 2D elements with a solid white fill background to use as somewhat a masking tool, covering that vague area with accurate elements. Then the reference can be set back to normal view and be blended in with those 2D elements. Of course a smart user would group those elements and ensure they are brought to front. I know there are work-arounds to achieve this right now, but the point is, with the source view as a reference, there will be no need to move things around.
Learn and get certified!