BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Section Elevation Marker appearance

Anonymous
Not applicable
Section Elevation markers have come a long way with regards to how they appear on the plan (style of the marker), and the auto reference feature makes them even more powerful. If a couple additional features were introduced we could use the markers created with the section elevation tool on our printed plans versus having to create and use makers made up of 2D elements.

1. Control of the marker location that is independent of where the section is cut. Often time plan sheets are very crowded with information and the marker needs to be moved on the sheet for graphic reasons. It will almost always reside on the line where the section is cut, but its position on that line might need to be adjusted. It would be very useful to be able to move the "marker" location without moving or stretching the actual section. Elevation markers might even need the ability to move off of the "cut line".

2. Independent control of the length of the extension line for segmented section cuts. Allow this extension line to be graphically controlled in the plan window versus defined by points in the section elevation setting window.

3. The ability to have the same sect/elev have independent marker locations on different stories. A classic example would be a second or third story that is much smaller than the stories below. We need to be able to move the marker location and still have it linked to the sect/elev cut (ie right click on the marker to open the section).

These may seem like minor issues but they prevent full use of the default markers.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike wrote:
3. The ability to have the same sect/elev have independent marker locations on different stories. A classic example would be a second or third story that is much smaller than the stories below. We need to be able to move the marker location and still have it linked to the sect/elev cut (ie right click on the marker to open the section).

Move Section? Do you mean move the end points?
Because Moving the section from floor to floor has no meaning since a section is done verticaly.
I guess you mean move section end points but staying in the ref line
Anonymous
Not applicable
Move Section? Do you mean move the end points?
Because Moving the section from floor to floor has no meaning since a section is done verticaly.
I guess you mean move section end points but staying in the ref line
My point is to move the graphic that represents the section (this will show up on final printed plans) in a manner that is independent of the defined cut line. Moving the "end points" is perhaps saying the same thing. However, with elevation markers in the floor plan view, I would like to be able to move the entire marker such that it can be positioned anywhere without moving the actual elevation "cut line".
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I suppose, that would make a sense if you could move a S/E marker independently but within the horizontal range of a S/E and along the S/E line only.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
mike-

great suggestions that gs should include! Matthew Lohden suggested adding a parameter to the marker gdl that would allow you to move the head. I haven't tried it since he suggested that there was a problem in that the hotspot was not graphicly movable and would have to be entered manually.

Matthew - any further developments along those lines you can share?

voting for essential...
wes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Weston wrote:
mike-

great suggestions that gs should include! Matthew Lohden suggested adding a parameter to the marker gdl that would allow you to move the head. I haven't tried it since he suggested that there was a problem in that the hotspot was not graphicly movable and would have to be entered manually.

Matthew - any further developments along those lines you can share?

voting for essential...
wes
Unfortunately the Section Symbol subtype does not support any hotspots, movable or not. I will keep reminding GS of this as opportunities arise. It would allow GDL guys to make some really cool section markers.

The other big one is to be able to reference sections the way we can with the detail tool (i.e. multiple references to the same source view).
Dave Jochum
Advocate
All great suggestions that I include high on my wish list.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think this is an essential wish. I almost never want to have the section marker in the same spot for both floor plans and site/roof plans. The marker is either covering information on the site plan which I would like to show, or so far from the building that they are off the page. Thus I always have to choose not to show the section tool marker on some plans, and create "dumb" markers to show. Moving the markers independently would be very helpful.
__archiben
Booster
Mike wrote:
However, with elevation markers in the floor plan view, I would like to be able to move the entire marker such that it can be positioned anywhere without moving the actual elevation "cut line".
this is actually acheived with archiCAD 9 (at least the markers in the INT library . . . ?). it doesn't work with sections, but elevation marker heads can be moved completely independently of the cut line. there's even a new icon in the pet-palette for it.

i agree with the wish overall, though: a greater degree of flexibilty over the marker (documentation) output of a sect/elev is necessary. i would also like to add additional marker heads where necessary also - when a project spans several large sheets, dummy markers are an essential workaround.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!