Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Section length/symbol

Chadi SAROUFIM
Contributor
Sections should appear different on different stories. if a building is smaller or has a complex shape, very common case the building is larger in the 4 or 5 lower floors (being a shopping mall) and smaller in the upper floors (office building).
-------------

Chadi Saroufim, Assoc. AIA

M. Arch & M. Urban Design, Partner

Idepconsult – Mounir Saroufim and Partners

ArchiCAD 23 INT

Windows 11
8 REPLIES 8
Djordje
Ace
Chadi wrote:
Sections should appear different on different stories. if a building is smaller or has a complex shape, very common case the building is larger in the 4 or 5 lower floors (being a shopping mall) and smaller in the upper floors (office building).
How do you mean different?

If you cut the section through the mall, you will see the tower above in elevation - or whatever the section line sees.

Could you clarify the point?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Could you clarify the point?
I believe what he means is that the plan symbol which extends the full length of the ground floor is off the drawing area when you get up to the tower.

The wish could be restated as "Adjustable section markers at each floor." This would be an extension of the need for section markers to be adjustable in general - like the elevation markers. There are plenty of times when I don't want the marker at the end of where I want the section cut.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good idea. In the past I've resorted to dummy section markers on a different layer just to get them to display where I want them.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wish of Chadi SAROUFIM to me is clear. Now I do not have suitable drawing to show a situation on an example. However this problem exists frequently. It compels to use a graphic symbol instead of tool "Section".
Recently I have made a Section Marker in which it is possible to move markers on any stories.
Unfortunately, GDL cannot give more that is authorized to it.
On a case of long expectation of performance of our wish, I have made loading on a depository.
Simple Section Marker (New) in Depository > 01 General > Marker Symbols.
Chazz
Enthusiast
Interesting. I've certainly wanted this. It would add some complexity and management overhead (the blasted section tool box is already far too complex) but I would undoubtedly use it.

More important for me (not to step on your poll) is getting orthogonal sections to show up in section windows the way grids can (if you can figure it out)
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Matthew wrote:
The wish could be restated as "Adjustable section markers at each floor." This would be an extension of the need for section markers to be adjustable in general - like the elevation markers. There are plenty of times when I don't want the marker at the end of where I want the section cut.
Yes. This would be very useful.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Walery, Thank you for your SectionMark.
Step by step we making Archicad Better and better.

to GS Programmers :
1. It is good idea to Implant such "Clever Section" to AC.

2. I want to suggest New Principle:
SectionMarkers, Dimensions, Text actually refers to
Paper sheet, but not to Building itself.

My suggestion is: to maintain full functionality of this tools in the Layout
Through the drawings.

I may wish to crop Plan Drawing, placed on the sheet, but
save section marks, and finetune them according to free space on the sheet. This is also refers to Dimensions, Grids, Elevation marks, Labels
and so on.

PS: may be it is already done in AC11?

AC10 Pentium5 1GBRAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems like this has been answered in AC11. We could already do this in 10 by placing a section marker and using the refer to drawing button. (see below). but there was no differentiation between a linked marker and a real one in the project map. In 11 they have created a distinction between real section markers and linked markers. I would like it though better though if on we could group all the linked markers together in the navigator as a single item or hide them altogether, my section list gets pretty long on a four story building with different linked markers for each floor and the site.
Picture 1 05-52-10.png