Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Section views

KeesW
Advocate
Section views:
Is it possible to have elements which are obscured by closer objects, show as a dashed line?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not presently, but this has been requested before. It seems that it might be rather complex to make it work in a way that would be easy to manage.
Karl Ottenstein
KeesW wrote:
Section views:
Is it possible to have elements which are obscured by closer objects, show as a dashed line?
This can be done via the Special menu. Enable the menu on startup or permanently. Windows procedure is here:
http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?p=2411#2411

Enable special lines - screenshot below....continue with next post and screenshot there. I learned this on this forum, but can't seem to find the original poster (Djordje perhaps?) via search.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
(Part 2)

Click the Special Hidden Line menu item next to get the dialog shown below and make invisible lines dashed. Rebuild the section, and hidden lines (within the section depth) will show up as dashed now.

It even 'understands' the new 'distant' area and will use the 'distant' pen to mark distant hidden objects with that pen color - and the line type chosen in the dialog below.

AFAIK, special menu settings do not get memorized with views, so linking to views that require these special lines - or even publishing such views - would not be very automatic. Perhaps the wish should be that GS implement these options as full-fledged display options that are memorized with views rather than leave them hidden in the special menu.

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Matthew wrote:
Not presently, but this has been requested before. It seems that it might be rather complex to make it work in a way that would be easy to manage.
yes, in the Special menu. Karl already explained, with screenshots
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
tsturm
Newcomer
Can someone post the process to make the Special Menu visible for a Mac OS X user. I was able to get this done using OS 9. But now that I have OS X. I cannot find the right method to turn on the menu. Can anyone help out?
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
hold down apple and alt when starting archicad