Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Section windows open too small

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you open the section windows they open too small, why can't they open full size?

I say this because if you open say 15 of them all at once using navigator, you need to maximise them then zoom to extents or part of the drawing to start working on them at all. A time wasting excersize if ever there was one. ie that is about 30 key strokes/mouse clicks I can avoid for this example.

I'm not sure there is a setting I can change, but if not this could be improved.

Roolio
10 REPLIES 10
__archiben
Booster
Roolio wrote:
I say this because if you open say 15 of them all at once using navigator, you need to maximise them then zoom to extents or part of the drawing to start working on them at all. A time wasting excersize if ever there was one. ie that is about 30 key strokes/mouse clicks I can avoid for this example.
don't they open in the state they were last closed in? or are you using teamwork and your colleagues are responsible for resizing them to a state that you're not keen on before a send and receive?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
No mate,

It was a teamwork file though now it is a solo project, would that make a difference? It better not.

Roolio
__archiben
Booster
Roolio wrote:
It was a teamwork file though now it is a solo project, would that make a difference? It better not.
like you i always max out my windows, but some (one!) of the guys i worked with on a team project used to resize and stretch them all around the screen when he was working on them. after a send and receive and the next time i was working in those windows they would open the way he had left them . . . and so the re-maxing out had to be done . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
And what's worse, I had one person in our office that had their dual screens set backwards from mine; when I opened one of their sections it would open underneath all of the pallets. I thought the section had not opened for the longest time. I always had to move my pallets and then relocate the offending section window.
David Collins
Advocate
~/archiben wrote:
don't they open in the state they were last closed in?
They do for you? Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, on non-teamwork PC they ALWAYS open up at about a quarter of the size of the size of the screen, plopped down down seemingly at random any old place, no matter what they looked like when you last opened them. Absolutely maddening, because they're always several clicks and a rebuild or two from being usable. I think this one has been on the wish list a long time. Essential.
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Karl Ottenstein
Just to clarify ... Mac and Windows users are seeing different things here.

There is a known bug in the Windows version such that if a section window is maximized and closed, then the next time it is opened, it opens in a very small window. If a section window is STRETCHED to fill the usable work area (or to any other size), but the maximize button is not clicked, then it will remember that size the next time it is opened.

(To avoid zoom extents, memorize the zoom with the view associated with the section. I always memorize zooms. Others have reasons for never memorizing zooms. Works the way you do.)

I haven't tested this in build 2018 to see if the behavior has changed or improved.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aaaaaaaah, I shall try that one when I get back to work and I hope it does work.

Thanks Karl,

Roolio
David Collins
Advocate
Karl wrote:
... If a section window is STRETCHED to fill the usable work area (or to any other size), but the maximize button is not clicked, then it will remember that size the next time it is opened.
For some reason this doesn't work for me. Is there a step I'm missing?

1. Open section window from saved view in navigator: it appears at roughly 20% size of the screen
2. Manually stretch that baby so that it fills the screen.
3. Hit the extents button to enlarge the drawing into the window.
4. On the navigator, redefine the view with current zoom.
5. Close the section. Save the project and close ArchiCAD.
6. Restart ArchiCAD. Open the project file.
7. Open section window from saved view in navigator: it appears at roughly 20% size of the screen.
8. ARGGH!

I don't really mean to fuss about this. It's really just two two clicks to resize the window and bring the section forward. Mainly it offends my obsessive need for order.
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Dwight
Newcomer
I'm with you - why DON'T they stay????
Dwight Atkinson