Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Select in plan from 3D

Bruce
Expert
It would be super-duper handy to be able to right-click on something in a model view window (i.e. 3D, 3D document, section, elevation) and get ARCHICAD to select it in plan view.

This shouldn't be too difficult to do, as this functionality already exists for schedules.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
And what happens if you select multiple objects on different storeys?
Which plan view will it open and select?.
The schedule does it but only select what is in the current storey.

A single object is no problem but I am guessing multiple objects on different storeys is why this option does not exist.
There may be other reasons as well.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Also I have moved this post to the 'wishes' section (where I am sure the same wish already exists).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Bruce
Expert
Did a search, couldn't readily find a previous poll.

Multiple items can be selected in schedules - this is done when "Merge Uniform Items" is checked. In this case, ArchiCAD will go to the lowest floor of the selected elements.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bruce wrote:
If multiple items selected, ArchiCAD picks the lowest floor (this is done when "Merge Uniform Items' is checked.
Or a pop-up - "Items on multiple stories selected - which storey would you like to go to?"
Barry Kelly
Bruce wrote:
Not so easy to find sometime - I know.
Here is one...

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=53426

And another ...

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=262504

Bruce wrote:
Multiple items can be selected in schedules - this is done when "Merge Uniform Items" is checked. In this case, ArchiCAD will go to the lowest floor of the selected elements.
I was referring to you saying you wanted to select objects in elevation/3D which is very easy to do across multiple stories when you select multiple objects.
I mentioned it could be done via the schedule just to say that yes you can select multiple objects on multiple stories - but it will only go to the selection on one storey.

TIP: You can also select the heading in the schedule to select all objects at once listed under that heading - but again only on the current storey you have open will show the selection.
Unfortunately you can't select multiple random objects in a schedule.

If your schedule sorts by storey then it will automatically show the selection on that floor even if you current floor is set to something different - it will change stories automatically in this case.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
alemanda
Advocate
Barry wrote:
And what happens if you select multiple objects on different storeys?
Which plan view will it open and select?.
The schedule does it but only select what is in the current storey.

A single object is no problem but I am guessing multiple objects on different storeys is why this option does not exist.
There may be other reasons as well.

Barry.
Barry,
you're right. For multiple elements could be ambiguous.
In fact this function is very useful for one element only. For multiple entities it's not so useful and probably makes no sense.
So The function could be implemented only for one element or could be activable only when the selected elements belong to the same home story.
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Bruce
Expert
Not so. I've just been using the multiple selection function with schedules this afternoon to save me lots of time.

But, if the user doesn't find multiple selection useful...they can always just select one item.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --